Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Crypt Wendtii-bronze/red... Has a red to brown color.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Robert at Aqua Botanic does special orders, you might want to check with him. He has decent prices. Check the sponsor's forum for more info.

·
Registered
628 Posts
How about Hygrophila sp. "red", also called Hygrophila sp. "Amazon" I think. It is low growing from what I understand, maybe that would work?? Some people on APC have that plant, and it is on aquabid sometimes too.

Check the PlantFinder for info. on that species.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Kleiner Bar swords can be kept under 6-8 inches if you prune. Nice red coloration. I recommend just aggressive pruning or VERY high light of some Rotala Indica, it will grow horizontal in high light.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Since I am not sure what size tank you are referring to or to its light level, here are just some "small, red" plants. Some are harder to acquire than others but the options are there. :D

Alternanthera spp.
Ammannia multiflora
Ammannia sp.
'Bonsai'
Blyxa japonica
Bacopa sp.
'Red'
Bacopa sp. 'Purple'
Cryptocoryne pygmaea
Cryptocoryne x willisii
Didiplis diandra
Echinodorus tenellus
'Micro'
Juncus repens
Ludwigia arcuata
Ludwigia arcuata x repens
Ludwigia brevipes
Myriophyllum matogrossense
'Red'
Najas sp. 'Red'
Potamogeton gayi
Proserpinaca palustris
Ranalisma humile
Rotala macranda
'Green'
Rotala macranda 'Narrow Leaf' (Rotala magenta)
Rotala macranda 'Small Leaf'
Rotala pussila
Rotala rotundifolia
Rotala rotundifolia
'Colorata'
Rotala sp. 'Pearl'
Rotala sp. 'Vietnam'
Rotala wallichii

...not to mention some of the larger red plants that, with some judicious and clever prunings, can be fitted into smaller tanks (i.e. Pogostemon stellatus).

fishfry said:
How about Hygrophila sp. "red", also called Hygrophila sp. "Amazon" I think.
Hygrophila sp. 'Red' is a HUGE plant. The longest leaf on my plant is about 8-10" long. The Plant Finder says that it is a creeping plant but mine often grows vertically, even under very high light. I have no idea why it is doing that.

·
Registered
628 Posts
wow...I always thought Hygrophila sp. "red" was a small plant polysperma sized... good thing I never got it because I wouldn't have room! :D

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Ammannia multiflora is anything but red... it is a gigantic 4-5" diameter stem plant that resembles Hygrophila corymbosa "stricta" in appearance.

Carlos

·
Registered
513 Posts
Maybe cS was thinking about A. gracilis. It produces a beautiful hot red to orange red coloration. The overall list that cS createdlooks real good. Do these help at all turtlehead?

A third emphasis on E. tenellus 'micro.' I believe this is an all too overlooked plant. I recently setup a 58 g with it and will be taking pictures when it all fills out.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Don from freshwateraquariumplants.com also has the amazon hygro last time i talked to him.

I carry klenier bars and will be dropping the price to half of the current price this week as we can now get them @ a super low price

1 - 17 of 17 Posts