Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I'm not upgrading my saltwater tank, so I'm going to probably end up using my 29 gallon as a community planted tank. I was wondering what sorts of small schooling fish would look nice. I'd ideally like something that stays pretty small, so I can keep more fish in the tank(for a school) without overstocking, or making it look like an LFS display tank. . . I was thinking that possibly a school of 12-18 of some sort of micro-rasbora with some pygmy cory cats of some sort(well, one of the smaller varieties that stay on the bottom at least) would look really great. BUT I am having a hard time finding anyone with actual experience with them doing google searches. Does anybody have any insight as to what ones are somewhat easy to care for(and can tolerate a slightly higher temperature. My tank gets somewhat warm in the summer. Don't remember how hot, but near 80 degrees, possibly a bit over last summer. was going to try a fan over it this summer if I can figure out how to rearrange my room so it won't be blowing on my bird cage too.) Any suggestions are welcome :)

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Boraras micro, boraras maculatus, boraras brigittae and boraras merah are good candidates for your tank and what you describe in the above post.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think either the merah or the brigittae would look really nice. I like the vibrant reds they have :) Either them, or ember tetras, since I really like those too. Do they tend to stick close to each other? I don't need a really nice school, but I'd rather have a group of fish that like to stay near each other at least.

Would a school of 12-18 of one of the above fish+ 10 pygmy cories be a good stock load for the tank?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Amandae tetras are awesome!! they are kinda dull at the begining but they are bright orange and have really tight schooling behavior and are about 1/2" long at full length

Ember and amandae are the same thing btw

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I think either the merah or the brigittae would look really nice. I like the vibrant reds they have :) Either them, or ember tetras, since I really like those too. Do they tend to stick close to each other? I don't need a really nice school, but I'd rather have a group of fish that like to stay near each other at least.

Would a school of 12-18 of one of the above fish+ 10 pygmy cories be a good stock load for the tank?
what filtration you have?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure what sort I'll end up with. Right now I've got a 350 GPH canister filter that I'd like to take off of it and get something with less flow, since I want smaller fish. I'll probably end up with a smaller internal filter.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
you know if you make a spray bar or make a return manifold, you can drasticly reduce the "flow" of the filter. Another option is puting a valve on the output side to reduce the out flow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts