Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 10 gal. Hosp. tank is empty, has no fish but is overrun with pesky snails. I want to treat the tank with something to kill all the snails without tearing the tank down and emptying everything?

Creative ideas welcome as long as they are 100% effective, easy to execute, and leave no harmful residue for future fish.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Hi Manwithnofish,

I had heard copper is a good snail killer, but after reading the following the comment about the large increase in ammonia from the snail die-off was something I had not considered. How about loaches?
http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/snails.htm

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
As stated loaches will do the job quickly. Another alternative is a dwarf puffer or two.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Simply place a piece of blanched spinach or lettuce in the tank for a couple of hours. Given a couple of hours the piece of lettuce/spinach will be covered with snails and you can remove it from your tank. Doing this twice (either in the same day or the next day) will remove the majority of your snails and will not increase ammonia levels in your tank caused by snail deaths since you are removing them from the tank ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 10 gal. Hosp. tank is empty, has no fish but is overrun with pesky snails. I want to treat the tank with something to kill all the snails without tearing the tank down and emptying everything?

Creative ideas welcome as long as they are 100% effective, easy to execute, and leave no harmful residue for future fish.
How about assassin snails? http://arizonainverts.com/blog/?p=20
They kill other snails and multiple very slow so they are easy to control, plus you get to watch them hunt and kill other snails. Some kind of evil satisfaction in that.:mad2:

·
Registered
156 Posts
This is a 10 gallon tank. Adding loaches, even short term is a silly idea. Just remove food sources and the snails will depopulate themselves. All dead plant materials should be taken out and as much algae as possible should be removed. The snails will die off fairly quickly that way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts