Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No not "exploding snail" but more like snails reproducing too much :)

Jeff, I remember you mentioned once something about the reason snails start to reproduce too fast and how to fix that. Would you share your experience with us?

--Nikolay

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'll tell you what curred my tank of the MTS. First off I bought about 20 8 months ago, and upto last week I must had 800-1000 snails. They were on the outside of my filter in the mornings, on the rims, on all the leaves.

Anyway to make a long story short. I have this oversized goldfish, that I had in a 10 gallon and decided I would put him in my 29 gallon on his last night with me.(trading him in on some plants)..

Anway the next morning.. I had only about 3 or 4 snails.. They were the ones that wouldn't fit in his mouth.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
A snail explosion almost always means over feeding or too many nutrients in the tank, for what it's worth.

·
Registered
72 Posts
JanS said:
A snail explosion almost always means over feeding or too many nutrients in the tank, for what it's worth.
Mine didn't live very long. Any idea why that may be? I do water changes religiously and my parameters are always normal. Only problem I have is hair algae.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
daddyo72 said:
Mine didn't live very long. Any idea why that may be? I do water changes religiously and my parameters are always normal. Only problem I have is hair algae.
Maybe you're underfeeding? ;-)

What kind of snails are they? Some need pretty hard water for their shells to stay viable.

·
Registered
852 Posts
daddyo72 said:
Something that IME helps keep snails alive is adding small amounts of calcium and magnesium to your water, if you don't already. A pinch or so of Epsom salts and calcium chloride after every water change works for me.

I've also noticed that some substrates (particularly soil-type substrates) seem to be less conducive to supporting MTS than others.

Small ramshorn snails seem to prefer the spot algae that develops on the glass as opposed to the other types, maybe this helps to keep them alive? For some weird reason, snails seem to me to be more difficult to keep alive in a planted tank than in a fish only tank.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I actually physically remove the snails at each water change. By doing this from the very beginning- a few snails each week, I have found it really keeps numbers in check for the long-term. The QUEEN BOTIA (not sure of scientific name) is an excellent snail-eater that won't eat plants and is quite peaceful.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
niko said:
No not "exploding snail" but more like snails reproducing too much :)

Jeff, I remember you mentioned once something about the reason snails start to reproduce too fast and how to fix that. Would you share your experience with us?

--Nikolay
Niko,

I used the tried and true way to keep snails in check. I would place and upside down dish in the tank. I would then place a food tablet in the center. I would do this the day before I was to do my water change and trimming.

The next day, a good number of snails had congregated on the dish. It was easy for me to remove the dish and, hence, the snails. I used to sell them to fellow hobbyists.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts