Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two tanks. One has lots of snails and the other has zero. I got a new piece of driftwood for the snail infested tank so I want to move the one that is in there now to the snail free tank. I want to prevent the snails from hitching a ride. I was thinking on just leaving the driftwood out for a while to make sure that no snail eggs were living on it. How long should I wait before I can say that any eggs that could be there are dead? or does anyone else have any other ideas?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi Green Fish,

In my opinion, I would just boil the wood to get ride of any snail eggs. I've been using driftwood found in lakes and streams for over a year. I ALWAYS boil any new wood for the tank.

There are no chemicals to worry about. Most pieces are too big for a pot, so we just place them into a large plastic container and soak in boiling water. Works great. (i.e. every pot you have in the kitchen boiling at the same time, then dump them into container).

On a side note about your "has snails" tank and your "does not have snails" tank. I have the same thing going on with an 18 g. and my 29 g. the 18 is full of snails...(keep pulling them out), and the 29 has only a small amount....not quite none i know...but... I find it's largely due to algae. The larger tank that has few snails is Co2 injected...Ferts, good light....you know... watched tank. Then I have the test tank....18 G. and mainly have moss, and H.M. in....all Ecco complete...no ferts....low light....

....oh and did a mention it's a snail farm...:(, but I now it's only because I am not dosing this tank. , as a test. Good luck in keeping the little buggers from getting into you snail free tank....

Cheers...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts