Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 gallon shrimp tank that is beginning to grow a ton of snails. Now I like snails, but these guys are reproducing like they never heard of contraceptive devices. If the snails keep doing they're thing, will they over take the tank, leaving nothing for the shrimps? Also, is there any way to get rid of the snails without hurting the shrimp? I've been doing my best using the finger method on these little tiny snails, but there are snail egg sacs all over most of the plants and my finger is getting tired.....
Not quite sure what type of snails they are, but they are not big snails, they have a normal, spherical type shell, and apparently can't get enough of each other.

I've heard I can add a loach into the tank to get all the snails, but is there any loach that is snail hungry but shrimp safe?

·
Registered
429 Posts
I would feed less to the fish, since snail plagues happen when there is an abundance of food. When the food runs out, the snails will eventually die out and the population will go down. The shrimp will out compete the snails for food since they move far quicker, so no need to worry about shrimp. Just decrease the food for the snails, and the snails will decrease as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts