Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to share some pictures of some of the Sulawesi Snails I have:

Clithons:

Red Spotted Nerite:

Zebra Nerite:

Tylomelania - Golden Spotted Snail

Tylomelania - Black Rabbit

Tylomelania - White/Yellow spotted

The some of the Tylomelanias are around 1" and 2". They are plant safe. Amazing snails in my opinion.
The nerites are great algae eaters especially the algae on the rocks.

Cheers,

·
Registered
584 Posts
Milalic,

Where did you get the nerites? I have been trying to find some for ages and I can't find them. They are really incredible looking animals. I'm glad you were able to collect such great specimens. Good luck on breeding these guys, I ma sure there are a bunch of snails in Africa that are rooting for you too.:whoo:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Those are fantastic. The red spotted, golden spotted, and zebras....wow.

It won't be long before I'm forced to pick some of these up, just holding out for some more breeding tips before I take the plunge...

Cliff

·
Registered
584 Posts
I just received some of the red spotted nerites from Milalic, they are incredible. I didn't know they were lik two to three times the size of olive nerites. They are really a welcome addition to the tank!!

Thanks Pedro!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just received some of the red spotted nerites from Milalic, they are incredible. I didn't know they were lik two to three times the size of olive nerites. They are really a welcome addition to the tank!!

Thanks Pedro!
great...hope you enjoy them. They are good algae eaters.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Here are some observations about the different kinds of Nerites, Suns (Clithon) and Rabbits (Tylomelania):

All of them are wildcaught so many of them have small blemishes on the shells. If you google "Neritina" or "Tylomelania" you wil notice the blemishes on very much every single picture.

Nerites
=============
** Reds
Compared to Olives/O-rings the reds have much lower mortality rate. The dead reds pollute the water MUCH less than the rest of the Nerites I have. The red color maybe brick red or brownish red depending on the light and the individual snail. In any case - the reds (along with the Zebras) are the nicest looking, at least to me. No tendency to explore above the water line.

** Zebras and Big Line Zebras
Low mortality rate compared to the Olives/O-rings. The dead Zebras/Big Line Zebras pollute the water a little more than the dead reds. Will search and eat other dead snails.

Olives and O-rings
Mortality rate seems higher than Reds and Zebras. The dead pollute the water much more. Can stay out of the water several hours with no ill effects. Will search and eat other dead snails.

Suns (Clithon)
===========
About 1/4 inch diameter. Comes in different patterns/colorations. Very low mortality. Ultra cool looking. Would not eat plants. Often climbs on bigger snails.

Rabbits (Tylomelania)
==============
** Black
Smaller than the White or Yellow Spotted. The hind 1/2 of the shell is whitish. Less active than the White spot. Very low mortality. Would not eat plants. The dead blacks barely pollute the water.

** White Spot
A bit less active than the Yellows. Very low mortality. Would not eat plants. The dead ones barely pollute the water.

** Yellow Spot
Very active and not easily intimidated. Would not eat plants. The dead ones barely pollute the water. Strong snail - will bump newly planted stem plants and make them float. Rooted plants have no issues.

--Nikolay

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Hm, reading my last post I see that it appears that I talk a lot about dead snails. I was worried if the different kind of cool snails will make it in my tanks so I was watching them closely.

Actually only about 3% of the Olives/O-rings died in my tanks compared to about 1% or less of the others. But I have much more Olives/O-rings then Reds. So my observations mean that all of the snails survive very well.

Still my favorite is the striking and active the Yellow Rabbit!

--Nikolay

1 - 20 of 28 Posts