Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Just wanted to add my comments.

1st: Welcome! You have found an amazing place with amazing people!

2nd: MTS aren't really known for their algae cleaning prowess. They mostly eat the detritus on the bottom of your tank.

3rd: Um, it's the "future" how bout some pics!! :D

·
Registered
499 Posts
Oh wow, your tank looks great!
Congrats on the babies, that is too cool. I wonder if the fry aren't munching on the algae on the hornwort.
Have you checked your tank at night? MTS mainly come out at night.
There are few snails that actually eat algae. Fish too, and its usually either a specific kind of algae or just not enough to notice.
One snail that eats strictly algae, mainly the dust algae, like what grows on the glass is the Nerite. I have 9 in my 55gal and the glass and rocks are always clean. If you get any you should only need 1, 2 at the most for your size tank.
ombcat sells Olive Nerites, which is who I got mine from and they're still kickin'.
Again, that is one good lookin tank.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Look for something that looks like sesame seeds on the shells of the mystery snails. That's a definite sign of nerites. Take tonight for example, we stopped by our LFS just to look around. They had tons of Mystery's and I noticed the eggs. My search turned up 2 olive nerites which the employees had no idea what they were so I got away with 2 "pest snails". :D
I already have 9, so if your interested I could send them to you. They're still pretty small, only about dime size.
Or just get lucky like I did. If you consider buying my 2, you'll have the weekend to hit the LFS's and try your luck.

Congrats on your find on CL. I hate CL, it's so evil cause my wife has limited me to my 1 55gal. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.