Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if someone can help me with a snail problem. The snails are very small about the size of a nail head. I have Clown Loaches but they don't seem to want to eat them so I have no idea what to do about them. I have shrimp in the tank so I can't use any snail kill stuff. Just wondering how to handle them.

·
Registered
494 Posts
One method that I have found useful is putting food in a corner (veggies work well) to attract the snails. Once they are on the food just remove the food with the snails on it. This helps with population control and not complete removal but once you do this a couple of times the you can remove the majority of the snails. Please let us know if it works for you, take care:)

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
really....did you just get the loaches? I have never heard of loaches NOT eating snails. Unless you just got them and they are just settling in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I setup a new planted tank a short while ago and within two weeks of startup, I had snails. A good 10 or so would be climbing up the front glass each morning. I put two yo yo loaches in the tank. A few days after, not a single snail in sight.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
I am also amazed that the loaches are not eating your snails. I've never met a clown loach that ever met a snail he didn't like! :D Are you feeding too much so that even your loaches are stuffed?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Please provide detail of the kind of snail you have. There are three main types of pest snails. It's not likely pond snail as this is eaten by the clown loach for sure. The other is Ramshorn snail, looks like a ram's horn. This is also eaten by loach. This leaves one snail left the trumpet snail. They are in the shape of an ice cream cone. They have very hard shells, loaches may have problems eating them. But they do serve as a purpose of decomposing and breaking down biological matters faster so should be kept. Come to think of it, all the pest snails are good to have. Break the pond snail's shell and feed it to your fishes. They will thank you for live meat.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Snails.... I got a bunch. I have Pond snails (tadpole) and small ramshorns as well as large ramshorns. All of the above I am breeding.

I have a single assassin snail, two apple snails and a zebra nerite. These are my true pets.

Assassin is to eat snails, apples and nerites are to clean algae (or help control it)

I also have lots of Trumpet snails I keep to sift around the substrate.

Other than the tiny ramshorns, I'd rather get rid of those, which is why I have an assassin.

They are both a pain and a boon.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i have a infestation of trupet snails to a point where when uncontrolled the tiny ones would be out during the light on times hanging on the glass and stuff... 3 dwarf puffers later they all shiver in fear in the gravel beds :)... on a funny side note i have 4 horned nerites in the tank and they seem to be all over the tanks and the dwarfs i dont think bother them

·
Registered
155 Posts
Snails are cool. Leave them be. Not many creatures in the aquarium that survive so well without any intervention on your part. They serves a purpose and the good out-weighs the bad. So keep it! I have heavily planted tanks I have no problems with any of the three pest snails. I have olive nerites too but now only one because the other died for whatever reason.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I'm actually having the exact same problem- my med. sized clown loach isn't really knocking back the population enough in my 36gal tank. My plants are CRAWLING with ramshorns the size of nail heads (but none bigger!). I've had him for almost 2 years. Is he satiated on flake food? Are they too small to bother with? Anyway, I tried making a food trap with a cylindrical container I cut holes in near the middle (food at the bottom). I got a lot of snails in it (easy removal) but not enough.

Other thoughts? Better loaches?

·
Registered
469 Posts
My one zebra loach keeps my 50 gallon tank practically snail free. If he gets lazy I just hold off of the flakes and frozen food for a couple days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts