Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick glimpse of what I'm doing at home.

Have not named it yet. Tank is 3 weeks old and 1 week after first trimming. I think I will keep this scape for a while, it has grown on me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another bit of an angle shot.

Thanks, I have always been a sucker for mosses. I have a few small tanks going right now all filled with different types of moss.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will put up some more photos once the stems grow out. This was one of those making lemonade tanks. I just had some left over clippings and threw it together.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In good time!

The randomness is that wabi sabi style that I draw a lot of inspiration from. Untamed nature being wild behind glass.

·
Registered
733 Posts
B E A utiful!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gravy9-

Thank you very much for the all too kind of a word. Hopefully it really will be beautiful once it matures.

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
looking good bud, you better show a full shot here once it matures :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FTS once it matures.

I will Also get a full tank shot when I figure out why my reds are being lost when I take my RAW photos into CS3!?!? The photos become significantly less saturated and dull. Maybe it is time to upgrade to CS4 and they have it fixed.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I get that sometimes, but not from guys on the internet holding huge fish.

Screename is the greatest screename ever LOL I wish I thought of that.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I took some more preview pics. The tank is still coming back into form from its last trim. Almost ready for its final shot, another trimming maybe?

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Beautiful John!

Do you mind sharing some pearls of wisdom? What kind of moss and how did you manage to "train" the moss to grow like that from the driftwood? It looks like the green branches of christmas tree, neat yet natural. On the other hand, my moss on driftwood ends up look like Bob Marley with a bad haircut :hippie:!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well my friend, there are a few things I do to keep my moss like that.

First thing is to make sure you tie your moss onto the wood evenly and imagine it grown out. Envision it in its future state, more towards its final photograph.

Second, keep your moss tight. Once the moss grows out and you can see it attached cut it down low. Keep the moss short until it is full. Thin moss is spindly moss, we don't like spindly moss!

Thirdly keep it clean! Turkey baste or pat your moss with tweezers. Do not let algae build up in it and allow the base to die. The base is what keeps it attached correctly.

Lastly, keep your moss in shape and train it. I cut my moss low to a bit longer from top to bottom. The higher moss grows faster and the lower moss grows slower. This way the light from the top doesn't block out the plant at the bottom and keeps it nice and even.

And that would be how I get my moss to grow in the fashion you mentioned, I allow it to. Most people unknowingly don't allow their plants to grow out in a natural way because of their lack of maintenance or no for thought.

Best of luck with your moss and let me know if you need any help.

Oh and use ADA curved scissors.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts