Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi

Being new here, glad to have found this thread.
Hope to find an answer too. Much liked the comic of the guy climbing up the mountain to find the Guru so to seek the ultimate question in life that "why plants grow well will have no algae ?" :hail:

What if every theory every hypothesis is right ?

We were told to limit P, it works.

We were told to limit Fe, it works.

We were told to only feed from the substrate, it works

We were told to water column feeding, it works

We were told to portion the right amount each week, it works

We were told to limit NH4 and feed everything inorganic to the plants' content, it works.

May be the answer could simply be "because plants grow well hence no algae.":confused: (Hey, I think that was what Tom try to tell us all this while ! What's wrong with you people ? Why can't we take that as THE answer - period. : )

Cheers !
dc

·
Registered
11 Posts
defdac said:
Everyone that has planted tanks already know this. We want to know why algea stops growing when the plants grow well and are happy.
Alright, it was wrong for me to say that then (it was a late night post...), so let me also try to chip in my 2 cents of speculation then....

defdac said:
Tom Barr aka plantbrain are the only one offering a glimpse of the truth of what might be going on here. Algae are tiny organisms that only bloom if there are no competition like happy plants and they seem to be able to know if there are other happy well growing organism around them - and it seems algae "listens" to variations in NH4-levels and Oxygen-levels.

When oxygen-levels drops and NH4 rises - time to bloom.

Happy plants means relatively small variations of high oxygen levels and tiny variations of very low NH4-levels.

How algae are able to listen to oxygen and NH4 I have no clue about though ;)
May be it is not that algae learn to known oxygen and NH4 variation. But because that low oxygen and high NH4 were exactly the kind of environment they were first evolved in ?
Algae came before plant, didn't they ?
So for plant to came to the evolution scence they have to turn the table around or else they would not have become "plants" and would just be another "algae" ?

Oops, then this will lead to the speculation of the plant actively shape the environment to their advantage..and then the active carbon test will disprove this....

BTW talk about the active carbon test, wouldn't the micro nutrient will also be removed in such a test hence not conclusive ? (No allelopathic chemical but also no Fe or P so we can't really demonstrate the absence of allelopathic chemical ?)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oh Yes ! The writing is indeed on the wall ! Didn't notice in the first read.
Quot "
Low O2, High NH4 => algae spore germination
"
(So there needs to be a threshold initial to kick start these thing ?)

The other staffs (NO3, Fe, P, etc) are perhaps "growth limiter/promoter"? but if there is no "spark initiator" liked signal of high NH4 and low O2, even high level of "growth promoters" may still not trigger algae to bloom ?

If to further the thought, could it be such that : if algae spore germination started (e.g. we see BBA in our tank) we reduce the level of NH4 but up the other nutrient it just speed up the algae life cycle which ended them into the spore generation waiting for the next NH4 signal hence we see algae actually disappear ? (Hence added NO3 or PO4 at this stage may actually "reduce" the algae ?) And then we learn the lession to limit NH4 so the next spore germination do not happen ?

Is my speculation any ground ?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.