Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
863 Posts
Left for three days. Dosing pump malfunctioned and delivered 1.5 liters of macro solution at once instead of ten ml/day. I came home to a cesspool of brown filamentous algae that waves in the current like the hair of a mermaid. If I were competing for the best algae crop, I would win. Green algea covered the glass.

I already have excessive flow, so it's not that. Lighting is high (80-90 PAR at substrate in center of 90-P) but CO2 is on a controller set to 6.2 (highest after lights out 7.0-7.2, as it varies) that starts an hour before lights on. 8 hour photoperiod This is not a new tank; these are not simply diatoms, and I did a large water change (at least 90% of display tank)) before I left, anyway. My filter is oversized for my tank, loaded with biomedia, and cleaned a week ago, anyway. I don't even have any fish so there is next to no visible detritus. I quickly planted some legandara before I left. I find it extremely hard to believe that the minute amount of disturbance to the substrate bed had any effect. The macronutrient overdose obviously caused this. It is a "should I just start over?" situation.

If five months worth of macros, all dosed all at once, with 5 ml/day of double-strength E.I. micro solution, a full point pH drop with co2 kicking on an hour before the photoperiod (which I would bet my life would kill any shrimp I tried to keep), is not non-limiting, then I don't know what is.

I have read time and time again a particular Dr. say things along the lines of "if excess x, y, or z nutrient could trigger an algae bloom, then any hobbyist could experiment and add excessive amounts to induce algae. But this does not happen." or "Eutrophication in natural bodies of water is not induced by phosphate/nitrate" "Phosphate does not induce algae" etc. etc.

Well, it happened. It was induced. I have never had anything but unfortunate luck anytime I do anything that has anything to do with a particular Dr.'s method in any way. When I'm not suffocating/poisoning my fish/shrimp, I'm dealing with algae at the best of times (which couldn't possibly be caused by excessive nutrients, or so some would have you think....) or coming home to an expensive cesspool. And this is when following it to the LETTER and going above and beyond measures of cleanliness and maintenance. Do not tell me I need more CO2, which is some people's answer to anything and everything. Don't tell me I need more plants. I had like 70% vegetation coverage and the tank was immaculate before I left.


Whatever. I'm so over it and over everything that has anything to do with E.I. in any way. I am consistently met with death and decay. And it's not like I am completely incompetent: I have a scientific background, have taken botany classes, four years of chemistry, etc. My tank could be cooler. It gets up to 85F during the day. But I find it funny that, despite the heat, I do not have algae running rampant whenever the autodoser was dosing as programmed, yet when nutrients are overdosed (which, according to some, doesn't even matter as long as they are all non-limiting and micros aren't dosed so high to cause toxicity) I magically come home to a sewer.

I can't help but wonder if it would have been AS bad had I been using a good UV sterilizer. I should also calibrate my pH probe and raise the lights. Regardless, I'm going back to the Brighty series. E.I., when followed religiously, has failed ne time and time againb. Even if the Brighty series is overpriced and diluted, at least I can say the ADA system has always worked for me flawlessly in the past. E.I... not so much. I have often wondered if people who claim to dump so many nutrients in their tank and crank the co2 up so high (I can't keep shrimp alive to save my life! Hundreds of dollars wasted trying over the years! To keep them alive longer than 24 ours would be a miracle despite 3+ hour drip acclimations!!!) and have great results and plants with sparkling cuticles and minimal to no algae with happy livestock are LYING about something.

And as a side-note, those Twinstar devices really do inhibit the growth of algae. But on the disc ONLY. The disc it's self is literally the only surface in the display tank that was spotless and pristine. It was so perfectly clean, I was astounded. Since it only prevents algae from growing on it's own mesh surface, It's astoundingly useless and a complete waste of $150. What a JOKE. I should have known better, anyway. I fell for a gimmick hydrolysis device. Snake oil.


I am a paid subscriber to the Barr Report. Which offers no real benefit by the way. I should really vent my frustrations there.... Sorry for the rant.
 
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top