Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'll hazard a guess just to keep this ball rolling.

I'll propose that the higher oxygen levels in a tank where the plants are doing well acts to suppress algae. How? Um, maybe the algae is so small that it gets oxidized? That is, the oxygen molecules tear it apart?

Someone like TBarr will probably come along and say "No, I've tested tanks with algae and no algae and both had the same oxygen level." If, so, then that theory is kaput, but I'd be interested in knowing if the correlation was studied.

TW

·
Registered
432 Posts
pineapple said:
IME / IMO it is all about water quality rather than nutrients - at least that is the way I tend to analyze and understand the problem or avoiding algae.

Algae prevail in DEAD water. Water changes rejuvenate the system.
Yeah, but -how- does water quality affect algae? How does a water change 'rejuvenate' water in a way that's bad for algae? What is the specific mechanism? At some point, doesn't this have to come down to a molecular level where the chemistry for algae life processes don't work any more? Just spitballing...

TW

·
Registered
432 Posts
I don't understand the chemical processes involved when dosing NPK, but I can dose them to the 'right' levels without any knowledge of molecular biology.

I agree that the water chemistry of an aquarium is complex, and I'm not defending my proposal at all here, it was just a thought. Art can correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the point of this thread -was- to get to specific causes. If we're going to settle for 'rejuvenated' water then we have to open the door to Plotcher again. :toimonst:

TW

·
Registered
432 Posts
Heh.

Can a post mortem be performed on algae? If a tank with algae is turned around and it all dies out, can it be put under a microscope and the cause of death determined? Might make a good TV crime show...

TW

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.