Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As of right now we have sources for both the Pro's Choice Soilmaster Select and 3M's Color Quartz black sand! Rob and I would like to place orders for both of these tomorrow morning (Tuesday).

400 lbs of sand works out to be about 55 cents per pound with shipping. Shipping is a flat $60 fee for the state of Ohio, up to 2200lbs. $60 is close to the cost of gas for me driving up there and back in my truck, assuming I don't get lost :) The price per pound will drop a bit if we order more but this is only available in 50lb bags.

The Pro's Choice is about $11 for 50lbs and I will go pick that up since it is fairly close. This too is available only in 50lb bags.

Matt - $115.50
Soilmaster - 150lbs ($33)
Sand - 150lbs ($82.50

Rob - $77
Soilmaster - 100lbs ($22)
Sand - 100lbs ($55)

Damon - $38.50
Soilmaster - 50lbs ($11)
Sand - 50lbs ($27.50)

Sean - $77
Soilmaster - 100lbs ($22)
Sand - 100lbs ($55)

Russ - $66
Soilmaster - 50lbs ($11)
Sand - 100lbs ($55)

Erik
Soilmaster -
Sand -

Post a response and I can edit the quantity of your post into this reply so we only have to look at one post when placing the order.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EcleckticGirl said:
I know this sounds ridiculously small, but I would like about 5 pounds each for a nano experiment and the paludarium I am planning. If you guys wouldn't mind gleaning from (or padding) your orders to give me a bit, I don't mind pitching in my $0.55/lb...
I ordered a bit more than I need, at least for now, so I can share a bit of mine sand and Soilmaster with you Dineen.

If there is anyone else who needs a small quantity of either of these, let me know. I should be able to increase my order by 50lbs of each for those who may only want 5-10 lbs of it for smaller tanks. I can bring the extras to the meeting along with everything else;)

Tom had said that 50lbs of Turface mixed with 50lbs of sand would be more than enough for a 75g...

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ctmpwrdcamry said:
Matt, I would like the same as Rob. I know i am only doing a 75 gallon(whenever i find one) but I am tempted to put this in my other thanks as well. Its cheap enough to get now i can leave it in the garage till later.
Done :)

Troy McClure said:
I won't be able to order at this time. Oceanic taking forever with their price changes and until they get the materials costs worked out, all their custom work is on hold. However, the square inches for a 48x18 are the same as the 36x24 so I know I'll need 50lbs of each or 100lbs of the soilmaster.
I tried to order 200lbs of the Soilmaster last Thursday from Jeremy a E.E. Johnson and was told Jeremy's supplier will not deliver less than 600lbs to him. I don't know if there will be enough interest in more of the Soilmaster when your tank is ready. The sand is prety cost prohibitive to order also since shipping is a flat $60 for up to 2200lbs!

Sean may have more info on the shipping since he bought a bag or two from them before.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
JRJ said:
Russ
Soilmaster - 50lbs.
Sand - 100lbs.

Not sure I've followed all of this: when/how do I pay you Matt?

-Russ
I will be bringing the sand and Soilmaster to the October meeting so you can bring payment to the October meeting. Rob is ordering the sand so you will probably need to pay him for the sand and me for the Soilmaster. If you can't make the meeting we can work out another time :)

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Getting back on track...More bad news on the Soilmaster, Jeremy was not able to get the Soilmaster in today. Claims there was a mis-communication in the amount he could order. I didn't ask for anymore info since I was fuming at the time.

Now that I have 500lbs of Black Sand in the back of my truck, things are starting to look bad for getting Soilmaster at all but I do have a couple more sources. I am working with the marketing manager for Pro's Choice right now and he gave me some leads, one in West Carrolton! I won't know anything until at least Monday but if things don't work out with the local suppliers, I may just drive to IL later in the week and pick some up myself!

I'll keep everyone informed...

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
molurus73 said:
Is all of the sand accounted for?
I believe it is Jim. I may have some extra when all is said and done and maybe some of the other will too!

IF we can get some of the Soilmaster Select in, I will definately have some extra sand. On that note, I got some very small samples of it in the mail today. Only the red color but the Soilmaster "Select" is definately a great size for planted tanks. Pretty much the same size as the Eco Complete we put into Dineen's tank. Very nice grain size as compared to the SAPS I have in my tank and also better when compared to my 2 y/0 Eco Complete.

It is slightly larger than the grain of the sand I posted in the substrates forum: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/showthread.php?t=10128&page=2

Let's hope something works out locally for the Soilmaster. After seeing the sample they sent, I am tempted to just get a whole pallet of it and hopefully be able to sell it somehow! Anyone have room to store 20 bags of this stuff?

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Here's a good substrate calculator for those interested:

http://www.plantedtank.net/substratecalculator.html

I'm not exactly sure on the amount of Soilmaster you would need. It seems to be a bit smaller than Flourite or Eco (would need more) but larger than sand (would need less). I guess it would be a guestimate but having a little extra laying around never hurts!

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Soilmaster is on it's way!

It seems as if a big pat on the back is in order for Rob, AKA The Sandman! Rob has found a source for the Soilmaster Select Gray in Cinci and it has been ordered. We're not sure if it will be here in time for the meeting this weekend but it is a possibility. As a result, I think Rob's name should change from "Sandman" to "Substrate Man"!!!

The quoted price was $8.60 per 50lb bag (not sure if tax is included) so we are getting 1,000lbs (20 bags). I am guesstimating a bit over $9 per bag if they add in taxes. I will know more on the pricing once it arrives.

There should be plenty of substrate to go around for a little while. Plan on paying Rob for both the Soilmaster and Sand. I will come up with a Meeting Dues list and e-mail it to everyone later in the week since we have a few outstanding items right now.

Thanks for the hard work Rob!

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Did Oil-Dri send you the Soilmaster or Soilmaster Select? Hard to tell from the photo. The Tahitian Moon Sand (TMS) is on top of the photo. Thanks for posting for everyone Rob!

Hopefully I will get the samples of the Soilmaster Green and Red in by the end of the week!

Are you ready to change out your tanks yet Rob?

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Troy McClure said:
Is anybody doing ALL black sand? I'm anxious to see how this mix turns out.
I had thought about it but since the Soilmaster is in hand now, I will use the Soilmaster first and cover it with the sand. They will mix together soon enough ;)

The sand looks good by itself as does the Soilmaster.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.