Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
molurus73 said:
Is all of the sand accounted for?
I believe it is Jim. I may have some extra when all is said and done and maybe some of the other will too!

IF we can get some of the Soilmaster Select in, I will definately have some extra sand. On that note, I got some very small samples of it in the mail today. Only the red color but the Soilmaster "Select" is definately a great size for planted tanks. Pretty much the same size as the Eco Complete we put into Dineen's tank. Very nice grain size as compared to the SAPS I have in my tank and also better when compared to my 2 y/0 Eco Complete.

It is slightly larger than the grain of the sand I posted in the substrates forum: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/showthread.php?t=10128&page=2

Let's hope something works out locally for the Soilmaster. After seeing the sample they sent, I am tempted to just get a whole pallet of it and hopefully be able to sell it somehow! Anyone have room to store 20 bags of this stuff?

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Here's a good substrate calculator for those interested:

http://www.plantedtank.net/substratecalculator.html

I'm not exactly sure on the amount of Soilmaster you would need. It seems to be a bit smaller than Flourite or Eco (would need more) but larger than sand (would need less). I guess it would be a guestimate but having a little extra laying around never hurts!

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Soilmaster is on it's way!

It seems as if a big pat on the back is in order for Rob, AKA The Sandman! Rob has found a source for the Soilmaster Select Gray in Cinci and it has been ordered. We're not sure if it will be here in time for the meeting this weekend but it is a possibility. As a result, I think Rob's name should change from "Sandman" to "Substrate Man"!!!

The quoted price was $8.60 per 50lb bag (not sure if tax is included) so we are getting 1,000lbs (20 bags). I am guesstimating a bit over $9 per bag if they add in taxes. I will know more on the pricing once it arrives.

There should be plenty of substrate to go around for a little while. Plan on paying Rob for both the Soilmaster and Sand. I will come up with a Meeting Dues list and e-mail it to everyone later in the week since we have a few outstanding items right now.

Thanks for the hard work Rob!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Substrate Man or SoilMASTER? Mass props to Rob!

If the SoilMaster Select is like the EC we put into Dineen's tank, put me down for three bags. That stuff was great! I'll add 125lbs to the 36x24x31 tank, then 25lbs to my 85gal. It'd probably be best if I could hold off picking it up until the November meeting, but I'll go ahead and pay upfront for it.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have the new substrate in my tank. Look!

Oil-Dri Co. sent me a sample and I got it today. It's actually layered with TMS that Matt sent me. The gravel in the tank is that fancy Aquarium Adventure black gravel.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Did Oil-Dri send you the Soilmaster or Soilmaster Select? Hard to tell from the photo. The Tahitian Moon Sand (TMS) is on top of the photo. Thanks for posting for everyone Rob!

Hopefully I will get the samples of the Soilmaster Green and Red in by the end of the week!

Are you ready to change out your tanks yet Rob?

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
I'm stopping off the grab an item or two Sat from a ag suppiler, I can pick up some of this same product.

I also have a source for the Barr's ADA soil now and will pick it up and give it a whirl. I';ll know inside 2-5 weeks whether it's as good since I'll use the ADA product and the Barr soil both with ADA powersand at the same time in different tanks. Then I'll go after powersand(which will be easy as I have every nutrient parameter and a method to test what ever is present including tannins.

The soilmaster looks really good with that in tank color. That's a real weiner...err winner.

Now why would you buy Eco complete again? Stuff weighs the same as SM.
Better than the grey MPV turface.

Add mulm and a little peat and rinse the SM good.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Shank you,
Yea, it goes over great with serious vegans (Killers of poor baby plants), I like talking about Kip veal to them, "It's the best kind, so tender and pure white meat"

Kip veal is unborn aborted calf meat. It's also the most expensive veal.

I am getting the ADA stuff Sat for the test after all.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
601 Posts
The Soilmaster was delivered to my house today, so everything I have fronted money for is here. Here is the breakdown of who owe's me what:

http://home.cinci.rr.com/fishtanks/swoape/SubstrateOrders.htm

Matt, I owe you for the ferts, so subract that from your total.

Sean & Damon, you owe the total amount.

Russ I owe you some change since the estimate accounted for a 7.5% tax, but it was really 6.5%.

Those who owe me money know where to mail it to. Please do me a favor an let me know when you have dropped the check in the mail....or else I just may keep this stuff for myself!

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Troy McClure said:
Is anybody doing ALL black sand? I'm anxious to see how this mix turns out.
I had thought about it but since the Soilmaster is in hand now, I will use the Soilmaster first and cover it with the sand. They will mix together soon enough ;)

The sand looks good by itself as does the Soilmaster.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts