Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got all of the parts needed for my pressurized CO2. I gave up on the ebay diffuser I had ordered, and got one from Orlando, which arrived in only 3 days. :) (Thanks!). I have a question about my solenoid, as it seems a bit off.

I am using a Milwauke system, firstly. I don't think they're known for particularly good solenoids to begin with, but it is quite frustrating to have this unit not working, as I already had to exchange my first one.. I wonder if perhaps I am doign something wrong. I set my PSI to 30, ensured that the diffuser was working correctly.. However, I didn't get a constant flow. I'd get a rush of bubbles at first, and it would quickly dwindle into nothing at all. It was as if the solenoid couldn't sustain a charge. I had to twist on it a bit, and I heard a lot of clicking. Every time it clicked, it would work again, but only temporarily. I finally rigged it so that it works okay now, but I am doubting it will come on with my timer, as it seems I'll have to mess with it every time I turn it on. Is this a typical solenoid, or is there an issue here?

As far as the diffuser goes, I know you guys measure in bubbles per second, but.. I'm not sure how to determine my bps by staring at the diffuser, as it probably releases several tiny bubbles per second. Is there a way to measure this so I know exactly what I have? I already have a CO2 indicator, so my levels are not an issue for me to monitor; I just want to know how to measure my levels precisely.

Thank you for clearing up these questions for this CO2 newbie :p

·
Registered
212 Posts
Do a search on APC, hoppycalif has a post about it. You can have readings of the level you are looking for about your CO2 ppm's using your drop checker, it is a matter of using water on it with the specific KH level in the solution for the ppms that you are looking for. eg. KH=4 should be use so the solution turn green when 30 ppm of CO2 are present.

If you looking for a topic like this you will find several posts about it.

About bubble counter, you should get one, it is really important when it comes to an stable level of CO2 in the water. There are very inexpensive and still really good bubble counters, Red Sea has one really good and cheap.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do have a drop checker.. and a bubble counter, I think.. I'm just not sure how to operate it. Isn't that the tube-thingy that is attached to the needle valve?

Also, any answers about my solenoid question?

·
Registered
212 Posts
the System is integrated by Regulator, Solenoid Valve, Needle Valve, Bubble Counter, Check Valve and Reactor.

You must regulate pressure to 10-20 psi. once you activate your solenoid you open your needle valve and you should see bubbles in your bubble counter. Then you adjust the flow to 1 bbps or 2 bbps, leave it like that and adjusts bubble rate according to your drop checker according to it.

Solenoid valve is a simple on/off valve, that's it, if it is operating properly it will full open or full close, that's it, if it is not working like that, something is wrong with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts