Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,453 Posts
I like your rockscape layout. As far as the plants go, they are not what I would suggest for starting out a new tank, but let's see how they go. Typically you want real fast growing stem plants at the start, you don't want to start out with the final version of what you want it to develop into, because it rarely does.

I am not sure how the lighting system will work, spiral flourescents tend to be inefficient for our needs. Ostensibly you have 46W total lighting which would necessitate CO2 and ferts. Have you considered getting an ahs retrofit of a 2x13W or a 36W set up from them? Al foil reflectors tend to scatter more light than they're worth - you get bouncing every which way.

·
Premium Member
5,453 Posts
I would definitely add some fast growing stems in there to start out.

As far as photoperiod with your lighting, I would start with 8 hours and see how things go. Adjust accordingly afterwards. I don't know what's cheaper (retrofitting, diy, etc) lightwise, you'll have to compare that one yourself depending on your abilities and time to work on things.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.