Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
I am considering doing a more natural soil type substrate to rescape my 75 gal and this thread is really interesting. I have pretty hard water at 11 dKh. Do you think it might be better to leave the dolomite out? And that azomite seems pretty sweet, but do you think those metal traces, ie copper, would have any negative effects on shrimp or other delicate fauna?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Dug a little deeper on the shrimp issue:
http://www.azomite.com/index.php?op...icle&id=77:shrimp-studies&catid=44&Itemid=152

This would definitely suggest that it would be quite alright, if not beneficial for shrimp. I am thinking that while it is 12 ppm copper in the azomite, that will be mixed with all the other stuff, and then it will still be mostly water in your tank, diluting it much further. Prolly shouldn't pose a threat I suppose. I am pretty sure CSM+b has some copper and I know that flourish does.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Well, I personally have a bunch of red clay underneath just about everything where I live. It takes a bit of refining, but that isn't too difficult. Also I have one lfs, and the lack of competition makes for some lousy prices. I haven't ever seen powdered laterite, where would I find it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.