Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ok, I am a total rookie on this. I have been a very strong algae-farmer for the last two years, but I am learning.

Don't forget that if you beat back your algae and the conditions in the tank are still the same when you are done treating, it will come back. I recently learned that my test kits were lying to me and telling me that I had enough NO3 and PO4. After getting new test kits and dosing appropriately, I no longer have BBA growing at the same rate (if at all). I can tell because I have Anubias with the older leaves just about covered in BBA (the little black spots, not the brush-like stuff - the SAE's keep the brushes beat back) while the newer leaves are relatively free of it.

The moral of the story is that effort should be put into correcting whichever imbalance led to the algae in the first place. If you do that, it probably will not return when you successfully beat it back.

Anyway, just my uneducated $0.02 worth. Good luck!

·
Registered
68 Posts
hi,

i had some hair algae on my java moss which is attached to a coconut shell with a hairnet.

i took it out, placed it in a container with less than 1/2 gallon of tank water. i added about 2 oz and let it sit for about 1 hour.

next day, all of the hair algae died, but the java moss was not affected; only the older, bottom layer of strands turned a copper brown color, but my ghost shrimp and sae's finished off the dead stuff.

i also was able to treat a rather severe case of staghorn on my anubias with h2o2. being attached to drift wood, i was able to treat outside the tank. i added about 8 oz to 3-4 gal of tank water and let sit for about 45 min. all of the staghorn died within a week. java ferns that were also attached to the wood showed no ill effects. neither did a ghost shrimp that apparently hitch hiked a ride to the bucket on the wood. i've yet to try in-tank treatment.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.