Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm setting up a 180 gallon in a couple of weeks, and being sick of waiting, I decided to run through a couple of possible woodscapes. I do have some rocks that I'll work with later.

So, if I could some opinions on what you think is best. I'm really undecided at this point, so input would be great.

Woodscape 1

Woodscape 2

Woodscape 3

Woodscape 4

Woodscape 5

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I'm partial to #1 or #2; I think that it balances the "tank" nicely, and still gives you plenty of planting options, especially with the foreground!

Good idea that you decided to try the layout first, and I am looking forward to seeing what you decided to go with!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'm partial to 1 & 3 myself. I like number 3 as I can invision a nice field of hairgrass, and the open space will leave plenty of swimming place for the tetras I want.

And mate, do you ever sleep? You're one of the first to reply in ever thread here :)

·
Registered
930 Posts
My vote is for #5. I like the variation of the wood. 1 straight others not.

No. I changed my mind. I like #5 because this 1 has some rocks. Thus there will be some blending in of the hardscape.

I have noticed some end up taking the wood out for it was a magnet to algae in their tank.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My vote is for #5. I like the variation of the wood. 1 straight others not.
That one is a real big, thick piece of wood. It looks great standing up because you can see the textures and shape of the wood really well, but I could never get a scape to look natural with it standing up :pout:

·
Registered
53 Posts
i like the idea of the one standing up in the left corner of #5. Maybe you could arrange the bent pieces of wood near its base, along with rocks to make it appear as the flooded base of a tree with roots protruding out like the rock was eroded away?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After much pondering, I've decided to go with number 3 - I did a rough plant plan and I felt that this scape came close to the vision I want to achieve.

Thanks for everyones help, I'll be asking for it alot :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
#1 and #2 seem to be the most well balanced, but, #3 leaves for a lot options with planting. You can use the open space to your advantage.

·
Registered
27 Posts
#4 because it leaves open space to the right. small branch is peers over into the space nicely. provides height on the left side

·
Registered
27 Posts
great idea to help imagine the scape with the tape! I too am pondering to get a 180 or similar tank. I've done this several times before with no luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Woodscape 4 looks best, I think. Will give you a nice triangular shape of the tank. This way you can use the right side to give a little space.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What kind of wood is that? I liked 3 the best too.
Just normal Australian Gum Tree. Getting good driftwood naturally is hard down here as it's basically the only tree we have naturally :p, and the local shops always supply cut up small pieces, and want a fortune for it.

I did inquire about getting Manzanita shipped out here, but the shipping costs were more expensive than the product! The wood I'm using is a hell of alot thicker so the pleco's will love it, plus I'm getting giddy thinking of a large school of cardinals hanging by the large trunks, mixed with the plants. :)

Scape 3 & 4 are the same, just a little branch is substituting for the larger arching one in number 3

1 - 17 of 17 Posts