Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been dosing PPS-Pro for a while now. I'm continuing to have issues with staghorn, fuzz, and a little bit of thread algae. Something's not right in there but I'm not sure what it is. I just recently started adding Seachem's Iron to see if that has any beneficial effect. Too soon to tell.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Re: To add or not to add extra Iron to CSM+B

Nevermore,
do you know your tap water parameters? Do you keep everything consistent? Any all house softeners? How high is your NO3 and PO4 if you don't change water?

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Nevermore,
do you know your tap water parameters? Do you keep everything consistent? Any all house softeners? How high is your NO3 and PO4 if you don't change water?
Hi Edward,

My tap water parameters are: GH=54ppm, nitrate=undetectable, phosphate=undetectable. I do keep everything consistent, I dose at the same time everyday and I do 20% water changes once a week. No house softeners, water is naturally soft. My NO3 is 13 ppm and my PO4 is 2 ppm, but I do change water weekly.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts

Nevermore,
the first thing to glow here is the amount of PO4, where is the 2 ppm coming from? What is the fish load to plant mass ratio? Is the PO4 coming from fish food or substrate? Is your tap PO4 undetectable by the same test kit as the kit you use for the aquarium? You need to find how much of Ca is in your tap. What KH?

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Nevermore,
the first thing to glow here is the amount of PO4, where is the 2 ppm coming from? What is the fish load to plant mass ratio? Is the PO4 coming from fish food or substrate? Is your tap PO4 undetectable by the same test kit as the kit you use for the aquarium? You need to find how much of Ca is in your tap. What KH?
I'm surprised by the amount of phosphate as well. The nitrates as well seem relatively high given the amount of water I change and how little PPS-Pro adds. The tank is a moderately planted 55 gallon with 2 Apistogramma panduros, 1 clown pleco, 1 zebra danio, 2 honey gouramis, 3 Espe's rasboras, 5 emperor tetras, 4 otocinclus, and 15 Amano shrimp. I don't know where the PO4 is coming from. I don't believe I overfeed my fish, I stand there and watch them eat and don't add more than they will eat in a few minutes. I used the LaMotte kit today to test my tank water and tap. The same kit gave me similar values when I tested a month ago.

My Water Quality Report gives 3-29 ppm as the range of Ca with 15.3 as the average reading. I had until 2 weeks ago been adding .15g of Equilibrium with each water change because I thought I needed to raise the hardness a little. I saw a post of yours that stated that 50 - 80 ppm of GH was good, so I decided to end that (since it's 54 ppm out of my tap). My GH of my aquarium is still high - it's 107 ppm. I'm a little surprised it's that high given I wasn't adding much Equilibrium (directions state to add 16g for every 20 gallons when doing water changes to raise GH by 3 dH). Anyway, that's a little off topic.

The KH of my tap is 36 ppm and tank is 90 ppm.

Thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to follow up, I started doing 50% water changes weekly to see if that would help. The effect was AMAZING! I have to really search to find any algae in the tank at all; it looks pristine. The plants all look great! I will try to back down to doing maybe 30 - 40% water changes/week if I can because I really don't like to waste water. My algae problem felt out of control before this and it's reassuring to know there's something I can do to get a handle on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.