Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

taken from www.tonina-forest.net

You can see more pics here.
For some info in english, go here
So far its called Plagiomnium trichomanes which has its emmersed form shown here

The taiwanese owner has been growing it submersed for over a year, so no problems there. T<28 celsius and nutrient rich water preferred. The plant is described to grow into a round ball-like bush with no real roots. Hard to propagate, hard to find.

· Registered
4,700 Posts
It looks like a moss or a liverwort. I am quite sure it is not a flowering plant (Angiosperm). It looks like a nice addition to the group of small-leaved foreground plants. We have been getting quite a lot of new ones in that group recently.

· Registered
690 Posts
That Taiwanese guy isn't the only one growing that plant. The rayon vert photo is dated back to 2003. It will find its way to the US eventually I am sure, I have drooled over that plant since I saw those same pictures...

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does "rayon vert" mean "green ray"? I dun understand?...

Actually I posted this after I saw the post on mini-pellia. Plants with mini-leaves are getting rather popular aren't they, I wonder what Mr Amano will do with them.

· Registered
852 Posts
That's some pretty stuff. I'm surprised I've never seen it in Amano...he could probably use it rather effectively.

· Registered
3,252 Posts
crandf said:
Does "rayon vert" mean "green ray"? I dun understand?.../QUOTE]

Rayon Vert Aqua is an aquatic plant nursery like Oriental, Tropica, etc. They usually have some of the rarest, newest plants in the hobby. If I misunderstood your question though, sorry:)

We have a number of Taiwanese people on the forum, maybe one of them would be so kind as to translate a few things for the rest of us?

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually, most of the posts in the tonina-forest thread are just discussing how pretty it is and its chinese name which I roughly translate as Jade Pompoms. The little info available I've already posted earlier.

Glad you guys like it. :), but how to get hold of some? The RVA website shows pics of plagiomnium trichomanes though, so maybe its selling? But I can't read japanese and besides I'm not willing to risk buying it without confirmation its the correct plant. ](*,)

· Registered
256 Posts
Mother Nature is so awesome. Every time we think we've got the be-all and the end-all of this hobby, someone discovers a new plant that blows away anything we currently have. I love plant tanks!

And I so want some cuttings from this plagiomnium sp.!

· Registered
353 Posts
Rayon Vert is not a nursery, but an LFS. I never made it there when I was in Japan but a friend of mine who did said the place is nuts. (I guess that goes for almost all LFS in Japan) Goes to show you how hardcore the Japanese are about their hobby. None of the LFS around here have owners who travel the world, collecting plants and animals, getting new species named after them.

· Registered
137 Posts
I have been looking for a photo of a plant that looks like a well manicured bush with small leaves. I believe the photo also had a red shrimp on the leaves to show how small they actually were. The photo was posted a long time ago. Does anyone remember the photo that I am talking about (fat chance with my horrible description), and if so was it the photo that used to be in the first post of this thread? Did anyone happen to save this photo or know where I can go to find it again?

Thank you for any help you guys/gals may have.

Ken T.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.