Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I certainly had a disaster last night. The HK water activated plant medium can be added to an already full tank without any clouding. Being a bit thick I added some JBL Aquabasis and thought that I could get away with it.[-X

Okay... the water went darker than an Amazon blackwater stream, kind of like chocolate haze!

Spent seven hours today changing the water and topping up with a mix of RO and tap water. The tank is now aquascaped with the rocks and bogwood and the first plants have been added. It looks so bare but I guess gardening of any kind requires patience. The good thing is that the hardness has come down a chunk and the pH is 7.2. with very low nitrate. Which is not bad for London; our tap water runs at pH 8.2 with high nitrates.

Also, I now realise that long planting tweezers are so useful for planting. I have placed small clumps of HC to hopefully form a carpet and the tweezers made this so easy.

The Riccia has not arrived but when it does I will use some ADA Riccia stones to attach it to.

I'm whacked.....what a day. The fish are fine though, in fact it is clear that they much prefer the aquarium water conditions now. The corydoras are having a substrate party :party:

The bleeding hearts are less tectchy with each other and the neons look like they are on vacation!

·
Registered
256 Posts
no need to worry about that it will clear.the low nitrates can be attributed to your plants eventually you'll have to start ADDING them!!!! got any pictures ive been looking forward to seeing this tank!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts