Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a DIY canister filter and it works good but if I substitute the PVC barbs with acrylic connections the whole thing would look better and probably be less prone to leaks.

Where should I look for glue that binds acrylic?
Also - where can I find acrylic pipes - 1/4 or 1/2" size?

--Nikolay

·
Registered
205 Posts
http://tapplastics.com/ also has stuff, but some of the prices are a bit higher compared to other areas. Ebay also has a section on acrylics, etc.. where many machine shops sell their scrap material. Most of it is good quality, I just recently got a 1'x2'x1/2" Cast acrylic sheet for cheap.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I found extruded acrylic but the cast one seems to be a problem.

What is the difference in regards to acrylic usage in aquariums?

--Nikolay

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Extruded will not hold up for aquarium use. It is typically used for point-of-sale material that will be thrown away. Extruded will craze (spider cracks) as it absorbs 40% more water than does acrylic.

Bite the bullet and get cast material. The US cast is best but expensive. If you purchase import cast, use Chemcast. However, I would not build an aquarium out of it.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Art and Gnatster, thanks for the prompt responses but I have not found any cast acrylic tubes with od of 1/4 to 3/4.

--Nikolay

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Art,

I'm trying to make a DIY canister a better looking piece of equipment. The lid and the canister that I use are clear acrylic, more or less like this one.

I don't know if that jar is extruded or cast. The in- and outflow of the filter as it is now are made of PVC fittings and O-rings. It'd be nice to have the whole thing made of acrylic. But the smallest cast acrylic pipe that I see is 1-1/2" od...

--Nikolay

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Then what would be a good glue for the PVC/acrylic joint? PVC cement or an acrylic one?

--Nikolay

1 - 12 of 12 Posts