Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

· Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving through Chambers County today and stopped by a road ditch to see what was in it. I was pleasantly surprised with a few different plants. I was able to ID some Bacopa monneiri, seashore paspalum (Paspalum vaginatum) and some different hairgrasses. But I don't know three of them.

This first one looks like a ludwigia, but is very small. I know that L.peploides is common around here, maybe these are babies? Leaves are opposite. It was growing in a thick clump just below the water surface.

This next one looks VERY similar, but it a bit larger-leaved, and leaves are alternate. It was growing in small clusters or 2-3 stems, sometimes only 1.

Here is a comparison of the two. Notice the size difference.

Can anyone make a good guess or positive ID?
-Dave

· Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Local Plants for ID

Here is the third plant I could not ID. It's a rosette-like plant. I have absolutely NO clue what it is.

Here's a pic of the ditch, followed by a mat of Bacopa monneiri.

-Dave

· Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks, all, for the answers. I don't think I have to light output for L.glandulosa, but I'll see what it does. The others I'll plant and see what they do. I'll update if anything neat happens (like #3 stretching out to a stemmie) . :)

-Dave

· Registered
138 Posts

I was ditch diving last month and near about stepped on and startled what I thought was a humongous frog or turtle. Turned out to be a 3 foot gator. I look closer now. I don't think the gator could have hurt me "badly"....it is more snakes I worry about. So far the most pain has been from the fire ants which seem to always be in the ditches.

· Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

On a hunch, I ventured out to the ditch just outside my office. I mean, this is literally 50 feet from the front door of my office. I look down and what do I see? More ludwigia and a few other questionable plants (not sure if they are aquatic or not).

The first Ludwigia (that has been ID'd so far as L. palustris) was present in mass quantities and I even found a couple emerged shoots. Take a look, these are the same plant emersed and submersed. I believe this confirms L.palustris? (Even without a flower? )

And I found a grass that was growing submerged. A mower/weedeater has hit a few times I think. My first thought on this was submerged growth of Seashore Paspalum (P. vaginatum) , but I admit I am very much uncertain. There is an abundance of seashore growing in the area, however. Here are pics:

I never knew I'd have so much fun moving to Coastal Texas! This is so much FUN!! :D

-Dave

By the way, is there a way to change the thread title to something more along the lines of "SouthEastern Texas Wetlands" or something like that? If so, I can just keep posting more plants from the area on this thread?

· Administrator
7,763 Posts

Dave,

I'm not sure what that first one is, but it's definitely not a Ludwigia (at least the emersed stem). Are you positive that's what the one on the right is? I don't think that's the same thing as in your first photo.

The second one looks like it's probably a grass (might be something from
Cyperaceae). Don't let that stop you from trying it.

· Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)

Dave,

I'm not sure what that first one is, but it's definitely not a Ludwigia (at least the emersed stem). Are you positive that's what the one on the right is? I don't think that's the same thing as in your first photo.

The second one looks like it's probably a grass (might be something from
Cyperaceae). Don't let that stop you from trying it.
Well, they were growing together, but they weren't attached to the same plant. I just assumed....and we all know what happens when we ass-u-me. So, it may well be two different plants. Especially considering there were only a couple of these emersed stems poping up amongst a HUGE submerged mat of the ludwigia. With my luck, it could be button-bush seedlings (there's alot of that here) . I'll do some better 'sloshing' Monday and see what I find.

As for the grass, it's in my tank right now. I've got it up front where I can keep a close eye on it in case it starts dying/rotting away.

I have to say this again, this really is fun. I'm learning new plants, feeding my hobby, and working at the same time (well...the working part may be a bit of a stretch...it takes a little smooth talking to say swathing through a ditch is conservation-related) .

-Dave

Oh, and look at that new title! Some cool monkey must have come up with that! :) Thanks for changing it for me.

· Registered
4,700 Posts
I have seen that third plant occasionally around here, not in ditches, but at the edge of a pond or river. I always thought it was some kind of Ludwigia. Sometimes it seems to have a woody stem. Next time I run across it, I will try to grow it.

· Registered
138 Posts
Why do you think the first is not Ludwigia? I am no plant expert but I have grown out LOTS of different age/state of immersion plants that look REALLY different and they all grow out to be what I thought was L.repens . How can you tell the difference between repens and palutris? Does the first pic have jaggedy leave edges?

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.