Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that some people painted the outside of their tanks with latex paint. And I was considering doing that. So I went into a home hardware store looking for latex paint. But I was told one could not apply latex paint on to glass for the paint won't stick to the glass.

Do I need to get some special latex paint for painting the outside of a tank?

Thanks.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Latex paint doesn't stick to glass *very well*. The person at the hardware store was trying to help, because they've been told that the paint will chip off of glass easily. That is true, however the back of your tank is hardly a hostile environment and the occasional power cord that brushes by isn't going to hurt anything.

Besides, if you ever want to change the color or go with a clear back wouldn't you rather be able to scrape off the paint more easily?

If you're really worried about it the tried and true method that has worked for many many people here is to clean the glass with rubbing alcohol, and paint it with KRYLON FUSION spraypaint. It is designed to stick to plastic really well, but seems to get a pretty good grip on glass too.

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the info Logan's Daddy.

I forgot to mention, when I went to a second hardware store, the people there suggested that I should go to a craft store to get "glass paint". I wonder whether anyone here has used glass paint?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
When you paint the back of an aquarium you want a paint that will stay on just well enough so you don't have to repaint unless you want to. Otherwise you want that paint to easily come off when you want to remove it. Ordinary latex paint works very well. Removing it is easy with a razor blade, but it doesn't come off until you want it to.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Hoppy for the reassurance.

I've read the following from:

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayArticle?articleNum=ae0034

"4. Resin based paints such as Pebeo's Vitrea 160 are removable until baked. Simply wipe off mistakes with a cotton swab and warm water or alcohol."

So, I wonder if I apply a resin-based paint, will it be easier to remove and re-paint than latex paint? Other than that, I wonder how latex paint compared with resin-based paint.

Thanks.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Honestly I think you are really overthinking this.

Latex paint will work just fine.

Resin based paint would be a very very very bad idea as it is not really paint, it is plastic suspended in water that only sets up when you bake it in the oven, until it is baked it is soft and comes off with water. You won't be baking your tank so the paint will never set up and would run all the time when the tiniest drip of water got on it.

Save yourself the trouble and $$ just get some plain old latex paint from any old hardware store, it will be fine.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Logan's Daddy, I was probably over-thinking :) Looks like latex paint is the way to go.

fshfanatic, I was considering mixing paints to get the exact color shade. Otherwise, I would use spray paint.

Thanks to you all for the input.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Another vote for latex paint. I've used it on literally a dozen tanks and it does great...except for when my skimmer rides against the back glass and it scratches the paint =/.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.