Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a walstad tank set up for a few moths so far with mts, special kitty, and river gravel on top full of plants except for a couple small spots where I have a cave like structure made out of a few larger river rocks. I have had some diatoms recently which I am not too worried about, got some otos to eat em and some hitchhiker snails, but on the spots without many plants I have what looks like fake spiderwebs you see during halloween, grey/white cloudy, fluffy stuff that I can only see from certain angles. I didn't even realize it was there until closer observation from multiple angles after noticing the gravel had turned dark brown/black in front of the cave area, but not where the plants are. Should I squirt it with diluted h202 or excel and if so what percentage? My otos are still under quarantine atm and I am not really worried about killing a few snails, I just don't want to harm plants or make the water unsafe for the fish.

Is there a more natural method of dealing with this kind of algae, bacteria, or fungus that is growing on the substrate that would be better than using the h2o2 or excel? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate has been 0,0,~5 consistantly and i have had to dose dpta iron due to deficiency. Ph is 7.5-8, gh 10+, kh 7ish.

If needed I can get a picture, just not tonight.

Thanks for the help. :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is weird, I can't actually feel it when I stick my hand in there, maybe due to the temp difference of the tank water and my hand idk. It is greyish and it was never on the driftwood. I threw an algae wafer in there for the snails to deter them from eating my aponogeton, which they absolutely love, anyways, the snails won't go in that spot. I think its more bacterial, doesn't look like normal fungus and the fact that the substrate is turning black everywhere it spreads is a bit concerning. It seems to be spreading out a bit, but is hard to tell since I can only see it from a certain angle well, as if it is in a very fine layer on a single plane. It is odd t me. I need to get a picture.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.