Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if any of you guys know more about this algae. I'm having a hard time fighting it. I did some reasearch online and I didn't come up with much. Let me know what you guys think and whats the best way to fight this. Thanks in advance.

James' Planted Tank said:
Description

Fine strands of green algae sometimes very long in length. Slimy to the touch. Under a microscope the chloroplasts are aligned in a spiral - hence the name.

Cause

Often appears a couple of weeks after a disturbance that causes a spike in ammonia. This can be anything from a disturbance of the substrate to a dead fish gone unnoticed. Likes high light levels and high nutrient levels.

Removal

Once it has appeared it can be very hard to clear as it thrives in the same conditions as plants. Pick out as much as possible and do a three day blackout with CO2 turned off and doing large daily water changes. Dose back with macros after the water change. Afterwards I found normal dosing Excel also helped. Rosy barbs will eat it if made hungry. Also try reducing the lighting.

Another method to try is to try lean dosing at around 1/4 to 1/8 Estimative Index levels for a few weeks. I had good success doing this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hrm no replys. Anyone have experience with this algae? Any kind of help or imput would help. Thanks in advance.

So far heres what Ive done.
-Reduced light from 8 hours to 7 hours
-3 day 50% water changes
-No dosing ferts
-Daily removal of Algae

I'll be trimming my higher plants the next time I do a WC.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.