Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have had whole bunch of it at some point and got rid of it almost completely.
I know it's not "sporty" and first you have to find a reason that causes that (In my case I have had it in the new tank). I have tried to remove it but it grows faster than I could clean it I have found that big water change slows down it grows.
Than I use the following steps:
1) Copper-based algaecide ( I used Archea-brand but you can find some other). Most of the algaecides in the US are not copper based. You also have to be VERY careful with invertebrates - cooper are dangerous for them.
2) Cherry barbs

In 4 days all algae was gone and I have seen some little patches but I think barbs cleaned it really fast.

Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
To give you the best answers, we need to know more information about your tank...

Again, these are some general recommendations...until we know more about your tank, we really can't give you any more specific help for your situation ;)
Yeah - those recommendations are TOO general. As was said - this type of algae grows in the same conditions as plants so most of the recommendations doesn't work.
Also Excel doesn't work at all against it. I have tried everything non-destructive and found copper-based algaecide the only thing really working.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.