Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to add a splash guard to my Catalina Aquarium light fixture. I'm not sure if I need Plexiglass (acrylic) or Lexan (polycarbonate). Any input?
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
Lexan can take more heat than plexiglas, so that would be a better choice. But, if the heat generated by the light would only make the shield warm to touch it wouldn't make much difference.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where do you buy lexan? is it easy to cut to size? I am getting really tired of heavy glass!
Ask your friendly local hardware store... if that fails, most of the big-box hardware chains carry it. As for cutting it, if you use the thinner stuff that you would need for a light guard, you can just score it several times with a utility knife and snap it.

Does anyone know if there is a difference in light transmission/clarity between the two?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Local glass stores will have it, I got some at the autoglass place near me. I used it in my car for the windows so I had them cut it to the shape of my old glass.

As far as clarity, just like I said the plexiglass turns yellowish/cloudy from sunlight but I'm not sure if it would do it under lights?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Neither, i preffer a heat treated glass. I got mine at the internet which you can get in diffrent size. You can clean the glass easy and its heat proof. Both that u mentioned will get water stain in a long run and will not come off.

·
Registered
657 Posts
my preference is 1/4 " plate glass because it easy to notch with a wet sander, easy to clean & hard to break

·
Registered
226 Posts
I would like to add a splash guard to my Catalina Aquarium light fixture. I'm not sure if I need Plexiglass (acrylic) or Lexan (polycarbonate). Any input?
Thanks!
I would go with Polycarbonate , I've work with it , it's very strong and stays clear , you can drill and tap into it
with out breaking it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts