Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it okay to use sponge filters in NPT's? I've never used this type of filter before and I saw a nice small one by Hagen that I would like to use but I don't know if this type of filter will add too much oxygen to the tank since it's run by an air pump.:confused:

Can anyone tell me if it would be a good idea to use this type of filter or not?

Thank you.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hi Rose. My understanding is that we don't want the plants to have competition from the bacteria which do the ammonia-to-nitrite-to-nitrate conversions. A sponge filter's primary purpose, as you may know, is to provide a ton of surface area to grow these bacteria for the conversion/filtering. Our NPTs have a good balance of many bacterias in the soil and plants do the filtering. The plants will want the ammonia that fish provide as fertilizer. DWalstad's book showed how aquatic plants prefer to uptake ammonia in leaves, over taking up nitrate in roots. I think some people use different filters as needed, like when newly submerged soil is adjusting. My experience is that water movement is good enough, like from a power head. My small tanks, 10 gal and under, sometimes don't even need that. I think my UV filter has been a good investment. I haven't lost LFS fish since I've been putting them with the UV for their first four months. It's possible that the same stores have eradicated disease and parasites in their stock, but I think it's the UV. :laser:
Hope this helps. Best wishes,
M

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, mommyeireanne. :)

I'd only use the sponge filter for mechanical filtration as well as water circulation. I find that my guppies prefer having some water movement rather then it being stagnant. I usually prefer using a filter that I can adjust the flow on which is why I opted for a sponge filter.:)

I keep some sponge in my betta's HOB and I've never had any problems with bacteria building up in it. I rinse out the sponges in cold tap water and then place them in treated water to remove chlorine from them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.