Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does stainless steel have any adverse effect on the tank life?

The ADA filters appear to be metal. Is that stainless steel and does it have any special coating on the inside?

This jar may be a good choice for making a canister filter or a cheap external pump.

--Nikolay

·
Registered
22 Posts
Stainless Steel

I saw this post and though its old I thought I'd respond anyway. Stainless steel is the primary material used in food, beverage and pharmeceutical applications that require tanks, piping or other product contact surfaces because it is very sanitary. It is easy to clean and does not leach any components into the product. It is extremely corrosion resistant (hence the name) and is not coated. It is polished to different grades. The higher the grade, the less pourous the surface is and the more sanitary it becomes. You can tell if your part has any ferrous metal in it by simply seeing if a magnet will attach. The downside is that it is relatively expensive and somewhat difficult to work without the proper tools.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Through past experience, if you need to drill stainless steel- use a very low speed setting on the drill, a fair amount of pressure and cobalt bits.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My god what a stupid question!

People starting threads like that got to be publicly ridiculed!

--Nikolay

1 - 10 of 10 Posts