Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Started pps pro yesterday now elevated nitrite and ammonia

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  toaduck 
#1 ·
Hello all.

I started pps pro dosing yesterday. I'm injecting diy co2. I'm still fiddling with recipes trying to get the right level injection using a drop checker.

I dosed yesterday for the first time, right before lights on, and when I got home my nitrites were .5 ppm and ammonia was .5 ppm. Is this our can this be normal at first. Any cause for concern.

Here's my plant and fish load.

20 gallon aquarium

1 java fern
5 or six stems wisteria planted not floating
Anubia lancelota
6 crypts wendtti
20-25 amazon frogbit

I have 3 cockatoo cichlid
6 kuhli loaches

Thanks for any help.

See less See more
#2 ·
How long has your system been running?

Have you recently added, moved, or removed anything?

Have you recently done any deep cleaning or any piece of equipment, or portions of the tank, or substrate?

Also, what fertilizers are you using? I'm not talking about NPK, I'm talking about brands, or where you got them.

#3 ·
It's been going since Sept 2. So two months.
I'm using dry ferts from green leaf. I'm running co2. Sand substrate.I have a current usa satellite led plus. Rated at about 36 par to the bottom of tank, per the manufacturer. I have Anubias, a java fern water wisteria, 6-7 crypts, and frogbit. I want to add more medium light plants in near future. I really want a carpet. Not sure what would be best.

I added diy osmicote root tabs a few days before the spike.

I did a 50 percent water change right after the spike.

I got home that evening and tested and everything was back to normal again. My nitrates are still high. When I say high I mean around 20ppm. My nitrates are always 15-20 even after every water change anyway.

Should I be leaving out the KN03. I've read some people doing that with a high nitrate tank.

What are the instructions for leaving out the KNO3. Don't I have to double something else to compensate for the phosphates. I've researched and am still a little confused.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.