Aquatic Plant Forum banner
41 - 60 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
ok, whipped up a new batch. ill try storing the yeast in the fridge. i used ozarka spring water the first time and it did very well. does regular tap water kill the yeast? it has chloramine and chlorine that probably isnt good. i just used water that is room temp, about 78 degrees. please clarify if i can use tap water, or do i need to dechlorinate it, or is it best to use drinking water like ozarka or something. thanks.

as to what happened to the co2...i dont know? it was going very very strong and when i cut the tubing to put in the tvalve, it let off alot of pressure so it was still good. at the time i was getting 1 bubble per second. then after i hooked it back up it just never got going again. instead my airline started to siphon water into it slowly, after a few hours it went up the tube about 20 inches. i started a new batch with untreated tap water about 1 in the morning and went to bed. woke up and nothing. no co2 production. on that batch it was 103 degree F tap water and like i said untreated. i tried the higher temp because i read that it makes the yeast kick in quicker. but again, i had no co2 production when i woke up. i went to the store and grabbed some ozarka and made a batch with that and went to work. when i get home tonight i am really hoping i see some nice co2 going on. i miss it =(

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
2 things could mess up your DIY CO2:

1. For whatever reason when the yeast is making CO2 full speed if you open the bottle and the pressure in the bottle drops you often loose production. Don't ask me why. It happens.

2. Room temperature. It got pretty cool around here the last few days. Maybe your A/C is running as before but cooling the house better now. The best CO2 production happens at 75 and above degrees I think.

Do not use tap water. Would you put untreated tap water in your aquarium? The yeast is a living creature too so help it help you.

This CO2 fluctuation is probably the cause for these algae. I say get an air tubing and get the tank water running in a bucket. Put the tubing close to the algae and scrape them with your fingernail. Make sure you suck all of the algae that way. Hand cleaning is effective but only when you have very little algae.

Well, you are probably starting to understand why eventually you will get a pressurized CO2 system.

--Nikolay

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
I use regular tap water. It doesn't seem to matter. Hate to contradict Niko, but mine works fine. I bake bread and know that regular tap water doesn't seem to bother yeast. It certainly doesn't hurt to use store bought water but yeast doesn't care.

I do think that the temp of the air makes a difference in how fast your yeast grows. It would probably take quite a while for your yeast to build up the same pressure which you unleashed. I have sometimes stuck my bottle in a pan of hot water so that the yeast water heats up again and I get much more CO2. Yeast grows fastest at around 110 degrees so you can see why room temperature would slow it down. :D

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
i think that opening the bottle and equalizing the pressure with the room pressure is what halted the co2 production. also, my house is on a digital programmed thermostat and it never gets below 77 degrees right now unless i tell it to. anyhow, the new batch of yeast is kicking ass right now. ill post a video as soon as it uploads. the most co2 production this tank has seen yet.

one of my stems of purple cabomba is growing fast. it has already reached the surface of the water. probably about 6 inches of growth since it was planted saturday evening. i guess i will top it soon and plant the cutting. the cabomba has lost its purple colored tops. maybe because lack of ferts? what will make it get its nice color back?

bubbles =

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
You might want to consider keeping a bottle of Seachem's Excel around in case you have a glitch with the DIY CO2. It is an alternate Carbon source that some people, myself included, use as their only source of Carbon in a tank. The Purple Cabomba you have was grown in an Excel only tank.

The only recommendation I can make on getting the color back is to add Iron and traces. I dose daily in all of my Carbon supplemented (Excel and CO2) tanks with Seachem's Iron and Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive. Even the new Aquasoil tanks. I dose approximately 1ml per gallon on the Excel tanks and 2ml per gallon daily on the CO2 tanks.

YMMV.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
mike, i think i will try that but first i wanna hear what niko says. he must have reasons for telling me to dose only K right now. for now, im going to go get the algae off my driftwood. that seems to be the place it likes to grow.:(

the plants look pretty good overall.

btw, what is that small plant that you gave me? you gave me two of them and it looks like blyxa J.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
It was either Blyxa Japonica or Echinodorus Bolivianus. You will be able to tell if there is a daughter plant that can grow off a runner. In that case it will be Echinodorus B. cause it is a chain sword. The Blyxa J. propogates by growing another stem off of the main stem.

Good idea checking with Niko.

Good Luck and keep posting pics.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
i had to trim a stem of the cabomba tonight. my first cutting! i see one or two more that will be ready soon. i cut it because it was peaking through the surface of the water. also, i noticed that the cabomba has its color still, i can really see it when the light goes off and the tops close up. it isnt as obvious during the photoperiod while the tops are wide open. its really a neat plant how it opens and closes and has that nice maroon color. it also grows really nice and looks very healthy. it is my favorite plant right now.

i will be gone all weekend so when i get back ill do some more work on the tank (algae, WC, whatever else) and ill get some pics.

I cant wait until the toxins are out of the water so i can get some fish in here. this tank can really benefit from some shrimp and otos. after the bacteria handles that addition ill be adding some cardinals.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Dave,

This looks VERY clean for 72 hours. Keep up with the small water changes.

So how do you run the light now?

For the CO2 - it's best to not to try to test it, but to provide a consistent flow of it. With your DIY yeast setup you can't control the flow but you can certainly make sure it's consistent. Just make sure it doesn't go up and down. If you really get to a point where the CO2 is too much do as I told you - increase the surface turbulence (agitation) of the water. This gets rid of CO2 as if there is no tomorrow.

The sword plant in the front is a mistake. It will make big nice roots and it will grow way tall. You will end up pulling it making a big mess. Move it now while it's still small.

If you want HC I will give you some. Best HC you can buy in the entire world (actually this is true). Once again - don't listen to people's examples that you need 4 wpg to grow HC. Your lights are light years ahead of what most people use. Still, HC does love light. It also prefers to grow out of the water. It's more hassle than enjoyment really.

--Nikolay
niko, sorry i missed this post. i am running the lights at 6 hours a day from 3pm to 9pm. i have it later so i can atleast get some viewing time in. read and understood about the co2 and same goes for the micro sword...i will move it further back today. thanks for talking me out of the HC, i dont think it would look good in this tank anyway. now some shorter hair type grass or something might look good. also, i bet some phoenix moss or something would look good on that rock i have in there. oh you mentioned subwassertang. does that have roots or would i hair net it to a rock?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
i plan on getting around 20 shrimp for this tank. i am afraid that my rena xp2 intake will suck them in. should i get a sponge to cover the intake? if so, can anyone suggest a good place to find such a sponge? also, should i worry about this sponge impeding the flow too much?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
increased the lighting. now running 2-9pm. no big algae issues. a little bit on the wood that i clear every 4 days or so but its not multiplying super fast. my stems are growing fast it seems. just had to cut 5 cabomba stems and i see some other plants moving up toward the light quick...seems like they grow over an inch a day....maybe they do. if things stay good then ill try going to 8 hours of light next week maybe. still only dosing K2SO4 every other day. I dose it right after I do a 5G WC. this tank is probably holding about 38G of water total.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
So it appears that you have 48 watts of light over a 40 gallon tank. A little more than 1 wpg that is, haha! And the stems are growing well.

I'm anxious to see the future of this tank. You had the best start you can think of with Mike's super healthy plants, Aquasoil, and these Giesemann bulbs.

How is the CO2 holding? Is the CO2-flow consistent?

--Nikolay

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 · (Edited)
yea its a good start. im most excited about my E. bolivianus growth. its going good and has started runners and with nice leaves coming off the runners every few inches. i am thinking it will be a nice foreground if i keep it trimmed. also the ludwiga that i put in from a LFS is growing pretty quick (although nothing grows as fast as the cabomba it seems) but the leaves had a nice red color to them and the new growth does not...i assume its because of the lack of ferts...anyone know?

CO2...its holding nice. I get 2 clicks per second on the hagen filter and its putting out a nice mist. the bubbles arent as large as day one when it was really chugging but it seems consistent other than that. you saw the my second youtube video that i shot on day one of this jug. i can see bubbles moving around in the current all over the tank. i am debating starting a second jug tomorrow and throwing it on the tvalve but i might wait until i get back on sunday. i will be gone from friday through sunday for the golf tourney.

also, i am starting to think of how i could have placed the stem plants better when i first started the tank. i kinda grouped the species but not entirely. some of the plants are shaded but they are doing ok. i dont want to mess with anything right now as the tank is doing well i think. but, in the future i am going to "scape" it if you will. now that i see how these plants grow i have a better idea as to where i am going to place them in the tank. i also know that this tank will be so full of growth eventually that i am going to have to rip some of the plants out to make good light for the plants that stay in the tank. it should be fun.

the ammonia is finally starting to go down slightly. today, out of nowhere, my tank is a bit cloudy. it really reminds me of my first bacteria bloom when i set the tank up years ago. it may be that or it could just be that the filter is getting full. the cloudyness looks like it has no color, just kinda white...basically the water is less clear but not a whole lot.

i would take pics but my g/f's camera got stolen last weekend. in fact, it was a bad night...her entire person got jacked. the purse was worth $400 (don't ask why she spent so much on it as i don't understand women very well) along with her cell phone, wallet, and like i said the new digital camera. bummer. soon enough we should be buying another one (i just love those things) and ill get some more pics.

niko, how long should i wait to start doing my entire arsenal of ferts?

niko, did you ever go to keller farms last weekend? if so, tell me about it.

edit: i also am noticing an oily looking film on the water surface today. never noticed it before so i think it finally popped up. i knew it would happen eventually. what is it? where did it come from? any ill effects?

oh and i also added one plant...anubias nana petit on next to the driftwood.its anchored down by a small rock buried in the aquasoil and its roots are touching the wood and the aquasoil so it should anchor eventually. i really gotta try to keep the leaves clean of any algae if it occurs.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Dave,

I see that you are starting to see how careful planting pays off. Also how fast growing plants can become a headache. Still it's funny to me to read that under 1 wpg of light you experience growth that is too fast. I warned you about these bulbs!

I'd say let the bacteria bloom be. Do smaller water changes than you usually do. Basically let the bacteria go their way, don't try to fight them. If you fight them they will last longer. But beaware that when they start to die off by themselves the ammonia will spike a little.

I got me a purse for $10K last night so tell your girfriend to not worry too much. Mine has a Mickey Mouse on the front... I put it there as a theft prevention measure, but I think it hurts my style...

Don't worry about the fertilizers for now. Just forget them. It's too early. Dose the Potassium only as you have been.

I will make it to Keller Farms this Saturday before the meeting.

The film on top of the water is a completely normal thing in new tanks. Do not try to fight it by manual removal. It's impossible to remove completely. The best approach is to agitate the surface of the water (by pointing the outflow of the filter up) so the film gets under water and gets processed by the filter. The film may last several weeks, don't worry too much about it. But don't let it develop too much and block light and gas exchange.

The anubias will get spot algae for sure. It's a normal thing unless you are experienced aquarist... and own a Mikey Mouse purse (like me!).

--Nikolay

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
yea, i have enough surface agitation. no biggie.

it seems that everything is going right...the only thing i can do better right now is replant the tank so the plants are placed more strategically...but thats no biggie. ill just let it grow for now.

all i can do is wait...wait for things to grow and keep trimming away. wait for ammonia to drop and nitrite to drop...i cant wait to see 0ppm...need to add some fish.

just so you know niko. to start i will want 10 cherry reds, 10 amanos, 4 or 5 otos. if you can provide that, ill meet you in dallas or when you come by arlington/ft. worth on weekends and ill buy them all from you. that will be a great day.

thanks.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
It comes from the AquaSoil so it maybe a long time - several weeks.

Forget the Ammonia - tell us how well the plants grow and do you see any algae.

Also it is possible that your test kit is not correct. I just got an Ammonia test kit and it shows Ammonia in every water sample I test.

--Nikolay

41 - 60 of 156 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.