Aquatic Plant Forum banner
101 - 120 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Oh, that was easy!

Now how do you attach the needle valve to that contraption?

--Nikolay

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
well i have a clippard needle valve in the mail coming to me right now. it comes with the proper attachment.

but to connect the needle valve that you gave me i would just use a 1/8" x 1/16" reducer kinda like what i just did above but smaller. i just unscrew the end of the needle valve and find a 1/16" male connector to screw into it. if i couldnt find that size then i could use a 1/8" fitting with a barbed end...same end that the needle valve currently has. i could take airline and connect it to the barb and then to the needle valve.

no doubt the cleaner way to install is by finding the right fittings and i brought the needle valve to work with me so on my way home i will stop by the store just to see if they have a 1/16" size. if they do i will be really tempted to go buy the cylinder today and hook it up when i get home...the other needle valve coming in the mail i could just use on the next tank.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
thanks mike. i may take you up on the viet and blyxa. ill have to bring by a piece of the L. pantanal for you...i hope i can grow it. no pearling...however the other night i had my cuba create one single pearl in the top-center-most part of the plant. maybe im not getting enough co2 in the water.

i ordered a drop checker. i figure whats the point of going compressed gas if i dont get enough of it in the water. maybe im not pearling because i dont have enough co2 or maybe just not enough light.

oh and another thing im pleased about is the new sunset growth is really turning red/pink.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 · (Edited)
trying some new plants. got rid of some old plants.

i really hacked the hell out of the tank today. no worries, this stuff has been growing quick.

niko, see the mermaid weed?;)

wonder how long it takes glosso to fill in, same goes for hairgrass. maybe it will turn out to be a big mess.:D

tops of the ludwigia pantanal

thats all, nothing big here. but i cant wait to see this when it grows in. mike, the pantanal is more delicate looking than the cuba and seems to have shorter leaves.

part of the problem is that when these plants grow to the water surface they really shade the bottom...i think im going to add a third 24W bulb, the aquaflora one. gonna also have a reflector for each bulb. right now im running two 24W bulbs and only one with reflector.

also, ive read more on T5HO ballasts and if you buy one get a programmed start ballast instead of an instant start. niko, you may wanna suggest this to people in the future if you give any advice on ballasts.

·
Registered
475 Posts
be patient with the glosso it will take a while but once it gets rooted it will go everywhere. tanks looks good I have a 30 hex (i think) with just shrimp in it and some low light plants.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
thanks jaxon! hex tanks are tough to make look nice i think. my next tank will probably be in the neighborhood of 90G and hopefully as wide as possible. i would like to do a dutch layout with a nice sized foreground.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Looking good - w/ hairgrass/glosso combi - you're going to end up either doing a lot of work in that area, or having to choose between them as I think the hairgrass will tend to want to take over, pushing the glosso out.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Looks great. Have you seen the pearling yet? Mine seem to pearl yet I have the crappiest CO2 reactor.

Keep us updated. That is a very nice layout of the scape you got going so far
havent had any pearling. ive seen my plants do it before but not consistently and definitely not in a while. must need more light or something.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
all my first plants came from crownman, if i can do it you can do it...same plants and you are pretty much doing the same thing i am but you have more light so i expect yours to do very well...just takes a couple weeks.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
the pantanal is showing some deficiency. lower half of the plant has curled leaves and they dont look that great. the plant is still growing tall pretty quickly but the new small sideshoots arent really going anywhere. maybe as the plant approaches the water surface and gets closer to the light it will do better? its about half way there right now. i think that i might need to up my dosing...ive been going pretty lean up to this point. co2 should not be a limiting factor as it is misting pretty good and im running 4-5 bps...the drop checker is a nice lime green.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
If that stem plant is having trouble with the lower leaves maybe you need more fertilizer of some kind (not necessarily all of them!) or the light is not enough.

If you decide to up the fertilizer I'd say start with Fe/Trace first. But don't double the current dosing of Fe/Traces or something. Increase it maybe 20% and see if that changes something. The idea is to not mess things up while trying to cater to some primadonna plant.

--Nikolay

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
I officially learned how to grow algae finally.
its there but not really bad.

i believe i have GSA, Staghorn, and Fuzz algae.

After reading up on these on guitarfish.org i see that all of these are caused by nutrient imbalances and in the GSA case from lack of phosphate. Hopefully this stuff will disappear with a proper EI dosing routine.

none of it really bothers me except the staghorn, its just ugly and clings to my moss...hopefully things dont get worse.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
I lossed an oto today. It was flipping around in the current with a few kicks here and there. I netted it and pulled it to the surface but still keeping it in the water so it could swim in the net and I then touched it a few times with no response. It did not look like it was going to make it so I pulled it from the tank. All other fish and shrimp seem fine. Anyone know what could cause this?

101 - 120 of 156 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.