Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has had any luck keeping these in a planted tank? I was thinking of some for one of the 30's I am setting up, but wanted to see if I could find anyone who knew how well they would do with plants, and bottom dwellers in the tank as well. Thanks for any input in this.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I've got Steatocranus tinanti in a planted tank and they are great. Like all dwarf cichlids they will do some digging around their chosen cave but apart from that they leave things alone. Steatocranus do like to have a perch high up where they can sit and keep an eye on things so if you can design a pile of rocks or bogwood for them they will really appreciate that. One of mine even perches on a large Anubias sometimes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds awesome! I think that one of the new 30 gllns will go to some Steatocranus of some variety then. They are so small compared to the fish I am used to :), but they have the bump:cool:. Looking forward to trying my hand at breeding some. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'll put in another vote for these guys as a neat fish. Males have the big bump, depending on subspecies, females have either a small bump or none at all. I've had them breed in the past (means fairly easy to breed) and if you have enough caves, young from earlier batches are tolerated in the tank when they start the next batch. What I observed is that the parents moved to a new spot and left the young behind. IME they tend to have fairly small number of young in each brood.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts