Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I had a little problem with algae in my tank. There has been a bit of a recuring BGA on my gravel lately. Also, I had a problem wiht my CO2 taday and it was off all day so I left the light off. Its my 10 gallon, 3 wpg diy CO2(see post in DIY section) and all the necessary ferts, finally. I was unable to test my water tonight due to time restraints but as of sunday all were withing normally accepted levels. Today, I got home from work, turned on the light to check the tank an work on the CO2 setup and the gravel had three times the BGA and even what appears to be some green hair or maybe thread algae all over the gravel. I just dosed Saturday with a 50% wc and was goig to check nutrient levels, add as necessary and dose 1 ml of Flourish. I assume the sudden sturt in algae growth to be the correct amount of nutrients in the tank but lack of photosynthesis from the plant due to the lack of light. There of course, was still ambient light from the room although no direct sunlight. I there anything I should do or will a couple good days of plant growth slow down the algae. SHould I do a wc as soon as I can or base my wc on my fert levels. I generally do a wc i fmy nitrates hit 10ppm. I just got the flourish and my first phosphate test so this part is pretty new to me. Should I just bite the bullet and do a 3 day black out? I am sure that is what Tom Barr would say. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike, I don't have BBA i have BGA blue green:) Anyway, I have had your problem in the past though and you will get rid of it. I bleached a few of hte heartier plants but in general I found it went away as soona s I started dosing KNO3 My experience has taught me wiht BBA that it seems to go away with that right amounts of N in th ewater column. I still have soom of the BGA so maybe I will do a blackout soon. I got someplants in the mail and they were in shipment for a while so I am running my tank high to get up their strength before I do that. Ironicall now my tnak is going in the other direction. Most of the algae I had seems to be going away and my plants are growing like mad, which I attribute to dosing P and flourish. Actually I am starting to get some hair algae, probably from the high nutrients I am using. Anyway, thanks for asking and let me know how yours is coming.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mike, I don't have BBA i have BGA blue green:) Anyway, I have had your problem in the past though and you will get rid of it. I bleached a few of hte heartier plants but in general I found it went away as soona s I started dosing KNO3 My experience has taught me wiht BBA that it seems to go away with that right amounts of N in th ewater column. I still have soom of the BGA so maybe I will do a blackout soon. I got someplants in the mail and they were in shipment for a while so I am running my tank high to get up their strength before I do that. Ironicall now my tnak is going in the other direction. Most of the algae I had seems to be going away and my plants are growing like mad, which I attribute to dosing P and flourish. Actually I am starting to get some hair algae, probably from the high nutrients I am using. Anyway, thanks for asking and let me know how yours is coming.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There seem to be opinions abound as to the cause of BGA. What is it? What does it really need, or love, to survive. I only get it one place. On the bare gravel directly in the middle of my tank in full 4.5 wpg (its a 10 gallon) My CO2 and fert levels are good, I think, and there is not much old organic material in the tank. Only 7 neon tetras and I feed every other day lately. The BGa is also in the spot where the current from the filter is best. A HOB penguin 125. I am good about filter maintainance canhing it every few weeks. Is it the improved oxygen from strong current, although I have heard current helps keep it away? That also does not make sense because my [email protected] goes into the filter input so that area is where co2 contretations should be highest. Is it because this area of the tank tends to get hte full shot of ferts first because I try to dose in the stream of the filter to help disperse it more? Is it that it gets full light? I dont have the BGA on any of the plants or under the plants. Only in this one are of higher light and not plants. What you said about it coming out of the gravel makes sense because it seems there is more in the morning at lights on that the night before at lights out. Would planting some foregroung plants in this area help control it? I have been wanting to try using some difformis as a foreground and I have some extra so maybe I'll give it a try. I have a few branches that I keep very low and I think it looks nice:)

Anyway, thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts