Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
currently have a altum angel which a friend gave to me and I need to move it to an establish 20 long or a 30.

which and how much schooling fish do you suggest with the altum? Im looking into barbs, tetras, rasboras.

I plan on using otos but I don't know how much to put in there also.

·
Registered
62 Posts
my personal style is to use only one type of fish in the tank (excluding algae eaters). i try not to put too many different types of fish that would have the same swimming zones in the tank. for example...my large tank has tetras which swim in the uper to mid zone areas, and later im goin to put a small school of cory in (lower zone). if you mix too many different types of fishes together, the tank becomes too 'busy' and the fish begin to distract from the plants in the tank. i have a planted tank with fish in it, not a fish tank with plants in it. hope this makes sense.

however, i would add a few more angels (similar size, shape and coloring). i had these before and they made a nice schooling effect. if i was to add a second schooling fish, i would put a small school of rummy nose tetras in there. i think they would make a nice contrast against the school of angels.

my problem is that i like to grow beautiful plants and have fish that would compliment the plants. my girlfriend likes to add all types of fishes. as a result her 5 gallon tank has about 10 different varieties of fish...too busy for me, but thats her style. she thinks my tank is boring.

·
Registered
62 Posts
as for how many otos, put in more than you think you will need. otos are fragile fish and they die off easy. but once they are established in your tank, they will last a long time. hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Move the Angel to the 30G tank, the 20G long is to shallow for an Angel fish.

Make sure to buy fish that will not fit into the Angels mouth or they will become snacks.

Of the schooling fish you mentioned I would go with Rasboras, they school tight and should be large enough not to become snacks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts