Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I am currently dosing Flourish Comprehensive 2ml/day into my 20 gallon tank. For ease of dosing I was thinking that I could draw several doses up into a large syringe and just squirt it in daily rather than having to deal with the messy bottle/cap method. Is this alright to do or is the Flourish unstable when exposed to light, thus the dark brown/black bottle? It's too bad that they don't make a pump dispenser!

·
Registered
739 Posts
Eheim makes the Liquidoser for such a task.

Exposure to light and oxygen can promote bacterial growth in the solution and possibly oxidize some of the traces. Keeping the solution in the fridge will also slow down any bacterial growth so if you keep it dark and cool you should have no problems. The liquid when used in an automatic dispenser is ususally subject to far worse so don't worry too much about it. Just keep the flourish bottle in a cool dark place so it remains good for a long time.

Giancarlo Podio

·
Registered
389 Posts
The Flourish stuff used to come with 1-mL graduated plastic droppers. I recently bought more Flourish and Flourish Iron but apparently, they no longer provide these droppers. You could always go this route:
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?testkits&1081253820
I'm not sure what the graduations are on them, though.

Fortunately, I got the new bottles before I ran out of the old ones, so I'm just re-using the old droppers. I always thought they were messy and less-convenient than the Tropica Master Grow dispensing bottles, but at least there was *something*. Besides, I got used to holding the droppers with a pair of tweezers so I never had to actually touch the solution. Sorry, but "threads on the cap" is just not precise enough for me :? .

-Naomi

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I keep my bottle in the fridge. I dont see why you couldnt fill your dropper/syringe and keep it in the fridge for when you need it. It would be dark and cool so everything should be fine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I noticed that Flourish now comes in white bottles. I didn't realize that it no longer had the dropper. :-s

Aside from an automatic doser such as the Liquidoser that Giancarlo mentioned, the best solution (no pun!) I've found for easy dosing of liquid ferts is a little rubber stopper known as a dosing cork. It is basically a one-hole test tube stopper with a little lid/plug. Just insert a syringe in the hole, suck up what you want, and dose. No muss, no fuss.

You can usually find these in the pharmacy packaged with a 5 ml syringe for baby meds. Pretty much any size syringe will fit it though. Also, an appropriately sized rubber stopper with a hole in it will work if you have access to lab gear. You'll need something to plug the hole with between doses, though. Make sure you stick the stopper in the bottle good and tight! Flourish makes a pretty lousy cologne. :lol:

As for storing Fluorish, I recommend keeping it in the fridge. It stays tea colored just as if first opened through its lifespan. If I don't put it in the fridge, it turns jet black, stinks to high heaven, and develops a sludge in the bottom of the bottle. I believe the sludge is a combination of bacteria and precipitants. Gotta love those organics!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts