Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Im new and this is my first post. Please let me know if I did something wrong or forgot to include something.

I'm having these strands of algae start showing up in my tank recently and I'd like to address it asap before it gets worse.
My specs:
Water Params: 0/0/30/8.0 ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/PH (I know my nitrates are high and I'm have plans to address it soon)
My tank sits at 16" in height and is using a Fluval 3.0 plant light on 3" risers running the current lighting plan based on Bentley Pascoe's Day Sim for Shallow Tanks
Slope Rectangle Font Line Parallel

I am using aquarium co-ops root tabs and I WAS dosing with their easy green (6 pumps twice a week).
I started getting noticeable amounts of algae on the walls and on top of leaves. So I cut back the easy green dosing significantly to 1 pump per week.
Also, I'm not running CO2.
Recently however, I started to get these strands of algae
Brown Plant Sky Leaf Vegetation

Can I assume that since I'm not using a lot of liquid fertilizer anymore, my lighting is causing this issue?
My other concern is my Java fern leaves are becoming transparent, which I'm assuming is due to lack of nutrients....so I need to dose more liquid fertilizer?
All in all, should I be lowering the amount of time my lights are on in order to stop algae growth and allow for more dosing?

Any help/recommendation/tips are appreciated

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How often do you change your water?
remove the affected leaves. They’re dying and leaking nutrients so algae grow on them. Looks like staghorn.
25% water change 2x a week seems to help a lot.
So it's because they're dying that causes algae to grow on them? What issue does the water change address?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any leaves with holes in them are damaged. Simply prune. People forget a gardener's job is to grow and prune.
Water changes remove waste nutrients and replenish Ca, Mg, and some other micronutrients.
The leaves that the algae are growing on don't have holes in them (I definitely have some plants that have holes in the leaves though). Should I still prune the leaves that have algae on them?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, so I've pruned off some of the leaves with staghorn algae growing off it. Not sure if I should prune the leaves that are blackish brown, could it just be diatom algae? The tank is like 1.5 months old. Additionally I'll be doing water changes more frequently. Should I hold off on adding fertilizer for now?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I cut back on the liquid fertilizer for now and added some floating plants to address my nitrate issues. My next step will be to reduce the lighting to see how that goes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts