Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recalibrated my PH controller, and found that I should have done so long ago. The PH was 6 blank, and should be 6,7. I doubled checked using a tetra test kit, so I'm sure it's correct. After this I checked the PH value every hours or so, and all during the day it was rising. When the lights when out it was 6,38. But when I came back to check the next morning, it was back at 6,1 again. It's been acting like this every day now for about four days or so.

I'm guessing this commes from the fact that I haven cleaned the pumps in ages, and the PH drop commes form the debris beeing broken down in my pumps. If I'm not mistaking, this forms CO2, right? Put during the day the plants use more CO2 than what is produced, and so the PH value rises. But during the night when the plants have gone to bed, the excess CO2 will cause the PH to drop. Am I on the right track here? and if so, is this Co2 as good as the stuff from my bottle? I have noticed that my plants have stoppet pearling now for several weeks. I have been crediting this to low PO4 leves, but now I'm wondering if this could also be a part of the problem?

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Yes, you have it right. During the day the plants are lowering the CO2, causing a rise in pH, and during the night, CO2 accumulates. The pH shift is not big enough to worry about. Your pH values indicate you ought to have plenty of CO2, unless your KH is very low. The lack of pearling could be due to low phosphate or low nitrate, or low light, or low other essential nutrients. How are your nitrate levels? That is the first thing I would check.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts