Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks, i know there's more than a handful of crypt enthusiasts here, and wondered if i could tap your brains.

I've had my tank going since June 2013. Most of the crypts are putting out new growth, its never been fast compared to other tanks I've had, but there is new sluggish growth for most species. A lot of them however have quite small leaves, and a lot of the really big crypts i.e usteriana, aponogetefolia, usteriana x walkerii are not doing particularly well at all. Even Balansae by some descriptions here is quite invasive has not done well. All of the leaves of these supposedly big crypts are very small, a few inches off the ground, or barely growing at all.

A pic of the tank is attached. substrate is miracle grow potting mix, eco complete cap, filtration is FX5, CO2 injected pH regulated at 6.7, off at night, i recently started dosing ferts again. I had a huge BBA problem, but have been using PMDD +phos and i use half the daily dosing. I find liquids easier vs the dry ferts. I also use about 1/3 of the phos since my phos tends to run 1+ppm without additives and was over 5 at one point when i was doing EI and having a BBA farm. There's a decent fish load of approx 45 rainbows in a 180. Lights are x3 kessils. I do 50% water changes of approx 50 Gallons RO/DI and another 40 gallons municiple water. TDS 170.

I don't know if there's any additional substrate tabs or anything else one would recommend? Even wendetii hasn't grown to the height it has for me in the past......

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Ryan

[/URL][/IMG]

For Example here's c usteriana clinging on by a thread...

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
372 Posts
I am not familiar with the kind of light you use, but it gives the impression that there's rather a lot of light for these crypts.

Sometimes crypts take time to adjust to a new situation. As long as each new leaf grows to the same or a larger size as the older leaves i wouldn't worry too much. When each new leaf grows to a smaller final size than the older ones it's a sign that the plant is living on it's reserves and when this takes a longer time it is meaning that something is very wrong. It is then unable to grow (often unable to grow roots or obtain nutrients from the roots) and trying to hold on. Crypts can do this for considerable time so you have quite some time to change and experiment before they are really gone.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I am wondering about the light also. Nice to see you are making progress on the algae. Could try some floaters maybe or cut down the hours.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We'll see how it goes. I pulled the lights back to help the algae so they're about ten inches above the glass covers now. I'd also previously cut back the light cycle an hour. I guess I'll give it a month and see what gives

·
Registered
Just some Walstad method tanks
58 Posts
The crypts you mentioned can thrive naturally in soft water, but prefer the more alkaline range (pH 7.5-8.5). My C. aponogetifolia is 1.5m long (leaf tip, including the petiole) in my 45 gallon, and C. wendtiis reaching 8-12 inches. My water is slightly alkaline

Since you used miracle grow, had you removed the excess organics? From what I know those species prefer low organics (except the C. wendtii i think) and sandier soil (or soil with more inorganic particles), with low nitrogen in the water column (ive read this before mentioning that low nitrogen is best for them).

I dont dose my tank with liquid fertz or anything (including co2), just root tabs as crypts are more or less root feeders. Try adjusting the pH of the water or completely removing the co2 injection, unless you have plants that depend on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts