Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that it is better to use two heaters in a tank instead of one. What heaters would you recommend and what wattage for a 75 gallon tank?

·
Registered
439 Posts
I see this all the time. And there are many flaws in the theory. So lets start poking holes in the idea.

First off having two heaters will work if you have them set high and hooked up to a temperature controller that actually controls them and turns them on and off. Without the controller then one heater will almost always end up doing almost all the work due to slight differences in their thermostats. If you have a LARGE tank, 6'-8' then it makes since to have two heaters since they are so far apart they will both actually work. But in smaller tanks that's just not the case. In a 4' tank one heater is enough.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The room will be probably around 75F on average and I would like to keep the tank at probably 78F.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Two things to look for when choosing heater:

- external thermostat: - I never understood why someone would position thermostat on actual heating tube. This is why so many people have problems with tweaking their heaters.

- external controller: - very convenient if further tweaking is necessary.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Makes a lot of sense. Big Als has some titanium heaters with external thermostats that look very nice. #51053 is 150watts. Will that work for my 75?

·
Registered
302 Posts
The Ebo Jagers in my experience are the best. Very accurate and very strong and they have a long track record

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
I had a bad experience with a Titanium heater. One night it overheated and it loosened one of the hoses of the canister filter resulting in 50 gals. of water on my floor.

...Made me really see how dirty carpet is, even though I vaccumed it every week. I hate carpet even more now. :D

--Nikolay

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that Nikolay....Terrible, terrible. IS it ALL titanium heaters that are bad or one specific one?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have two titaniums in seperate tanks that have been up for a few months now with no trouble yet.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've never had titanium heaters, I've had ebo jagers, which are great, but if i wanted to get myself some titanium heaters, what brand should i get?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sir_BlackhOle said:
I have heard that it is better to use two heaters in a tank instead of one.
I believe the idea is to have one heater set about a degree below the other. That when one heater does most of the work, but when the temperature falls too far the second heater kicks in to assist. Having two heaters provides a failsafe-- if one cuts out, you've still got at least one working, and can hopefully have enough time to notice before there's a disaster.

I'm setting up a 150 that will use a 200 watt substrate heater and two 250 watt Ebo Jager heaters in the sump. My two bits.

CKfish

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yes it's totally a backup measure...like if one craps out, then the other one takes over and you don't have a drop in temperature and kill your fish... then while the other one takes over, you have time to buy another one to back up this one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts