Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
you need to know the surface area of the bottom of your tank. once that is known, it is up to you how deep you want the substrate...then you will know the volume. then you can convert cubic inches(your calculation) to liters (ada sells in liters) using a converter found simply by googling "converter cubic inch liter"

·
Registered
92 Posts
Duzzy,

I'm doing a layered soil you might consider for cost reasons...

I have a 135 gallon 72"x18" and the soil is expected to be 3" deep..what I'm doing is
using soilmaster select 12"X60" right down the center of the aquarium and then Eco complete around the edges and topping off the final inch or so with Amazonia.

make sense? also all measurements are in inches...

John

·
Registered
395 Posts
jtburf, did you figure how much you save by doing it your way vs going with 3 inches of all amazonia?

im just curious, im sure you are saving a good chuck of change.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well I spent 18.00 for a 50# bag of soilmaster select then I purchased 4 bags of eco complete for 115.00 and the Amazonia ran me 120.00 so in substrate I have 253.00

But I just today finished the canopy and installed my lights, I should have it in the house in a few weeks and then I'll know exactly how much of each substrate I actually need... and left over will be used in other tanks down the road...

Is this more or less than you expect to pay?

Doing the calc for my tank it said I need 69 liters of substrate at 36.00 for a 9 liter bag of Amazonia I would be looking at close to 275.00 but remember until I actually set up the tank I'm just guest-a-mateing.

John

·
Registered
395 Posts
Well I spent 18.00 for a 50# bag of soilmaster select then I purchased 4 bags of eco complete for 115.00 and the Amazonia ran me 120.00 so in substrate I have 253.00

But I just today finished the canopy and installed my lights, I should have it in the house in a few weeks and then I'll know exactly how much of each substrate I actually need... and left over will be used in other tanks down the road...

Is this more or less than you expect to pay?

Doing the calc for my tank it said I need 69 liters of substrate at 36.00 for a 9 liter bag of Amazonia I would be looking at close to 275.00 but remember until I actually set up the tank I'm just guest-a-mateing.

John
i payed 75 dollars for 2x9L bags and that includes shipping. i ended up with more than i really needed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts