Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you can see by my questions I am planning my substrate. I think it is very important to the sucess of this system so I have been taking my time. Unfortunatly the only place I have for my tank will not get any direct sunlight. I think direct sunlight would help create currents in the substrate.

Should I consider substrate heating? Is the lack of heating why some people have to poke at the soil to release gas?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hi Colinsk:

I don't see how sunlight would create currents in the substrate. Healthy plant growth will create lots of roots which will do plenty to get water circulating through your substrate. Forgot what page that's on in EOTPA but I'll try to look it up.

-ricardo

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would expect the sunlight to heat the substrate just like the substrate heaters do. Especially with a dark substrate. Am I way off base here?

·
Registered
406 Posts
You may be corect Colin but as you say your tank will not get direct sunlight but sunlight is not something you can control and it would be wise to walk very carefully around this. I can remember when substrate heaters became available and were very costly (still are in fact) and some folks tried them but decided that they were more trouble than they were worth so stick with the Stealths, Ebos, Hyodors and other brands of either Submersibles and Inlines to stay out of trouble, although it is difficult in this Hobby if you want to try new things.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts