Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best substrate that you have used? I have small size gravel over kitty litter, but I'd like to change the substrate all together. Price really isn't a big concern at this point. I'd just like to know what other have had success with. I'm looking to grow mostly medium light plants in a 55 gallon tank and will probably add CO2 as well.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
This is one of those subjects that will get you a different answer depending who you ask. So, generally considered best by those who have used multiple substrates: ADA substrates, also typically the most expensive. Flourite and Eco-complete are very good, and usually a little cheaper than ADA stuff. After that, there's a ton of stuff out there, which will all work. Do a search and you'll see tons of info on this subject.

IMHO, I wouldn't sweat the substrate. Concentrate on CO2, lighting, ferts and good general plant practices, and you'll find success.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
I like aquariumplants.com substrate (soil-master select repackaged?) because of it's "loose-ness" (roots develope easily and healthy). Also I like the dark color.

But it has disadvantages to it in that it's very light-weight (so no more siphoning the gravel) and it's inert (which mean I have to add the ferts I need for my root feeding plants).

Like Bert said, it depends on who you ask and what they want out of a substrate. Check out the Science of Aquatic Substrates forum for TONS of info on this subject.

-Dave

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Yes, you will definitely get tons of different answers because different people want different things. I like Eco-complete over topsoil. The soil provides a lot of nutrients so I don't have to dose and the Eco-complete has a great grain size and weight for planting in.

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
I've used Flourite, Eco-complete, Seachem black sand & even pool filter sand. I like them all. They all are equally good IMO. The one I use just depends on the look I'm going for in a particuliar scape.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts