Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the thread title says, I am happy to report that I was able to achieve this phenomenon with a yeast setup for my 10 gallon tank. :) I thought that pearling was limited to pressurized systems, but this discovery leads me to believe that it's not necessary to acquire such equipment.

- 10 Gallon tank
- Pearling plants were Cyptocorynes and Amazon swords from their leaves and stems and possibly Anubias (bubbles were rising from beneath the leaves. Possibly just undissolved CO2 trapped underneath).
I have Marsilea Quadrifolia but I haven't seen them pearl, along with Glossostigma. I'm assuming not enough CO2 concentration or light.
- 40 watt 6700K/10K
- DIY 2 liter yeast bottle with tubing attached to Aqueon filter intake.

I'm interesting in you sharing your pearling experiences with DIY CO2.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you just talking about very slight pearling as in bubbles trapped under leaves and coming up every few seconds then I get that in my 10G w/ 2x 13w spiral bulbs w/ no CO2 just minimal ferts.

I would suggest 2x 1 liter bottles for a 10G DIY so you can alternate changing them out and get more consistent CO2 production

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you just talking about very slight pearling as in bubbles trapped under leaves and coming up every few seconds then I get that in my 10G w/ 2x 13w spiral bulbs w/ no CO2 just minimal ferts.

I would suggest 2x 1 liter bottles for a 10G DIY so you can alternate changing them out and get more consistent CO2 production
If you're referring to my Anubias, I actually have been reading reports that this is also O2 saturation from lighting and CO2. If you're referring to my plants as a whole, they don't bubble every few seconds... they're bubbling several times a second, leaving trails up to the surface :)

EDIT: The Marsilea Quadrifolia is also pearling from its roots upon closer examination. This intensified using a regular CFL daylight bulb.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Like brutus, I get pearling with DIY on a 50 gal. using a powerhead to disperse. I have 2 x 1 gallon jugs with double recipes in each. I only get 'good/fast' pearling closer to the lights. Now that I've reduced my wattage (just yesterday) I wonder if the pearling will stop. (Going from 2.9 WPG to about 2.3 WPG, those numbers are estimates.)

-Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts