Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...so, as far as I can determine, NOTHING has changed in my tank. Water temp is 71 degrees(as it has been for the last 2 months), all the other fish are fine, everyone is eating..but all of a sudden, the otto's are just dying off one after another. It started 3 days ago..found one dead in the AM. Then yesterday, found TWO dead. Today, another is dying, and the last one left looks like it will follow shortly, as it's suddenly gotten skinny(yes..TONS of algae present, food is not an issue!).
Water parameters are rock steady, the tank has been established and in equilibrium since early spring..
The ONLY thing I did..was I did a prune and siphon of a bit of cyno..but I've done that once a month, every month, and it's never bothered them before.
Any ideas? I would like to keep some in there..but if there is some disease I"m not aware of, I hate to just introduce more to be doomed...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Last three died today. The two sick one's I mentioned yesterday, and one that seemed perfectly healthy last night. All 3 were dead, and being consumed by the remaining fish today. Just weird...nothing at all seems out of the ordinary, and again, the rest of the fish(of several species) show zero signs of stress or trouble. I guess I'll just let the flag fish take over primary algae duties for the time being!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The odd thing is, they were introduced into a heavily algae "laden" tank, and were as plump as any I've ever seen. The deaths did not come just after introduction either, the school of them has been in the tank for nearly 6 months! The deaths came quick. They would be fine, the all of a sudden you see one laying on it's side on the bottom, breathing really fast. By the next day(at most) it would be dead...this pattern was consistent, until most were dead. However...my count must have been off, as today, there were two on the glass! Still....not another fish has shown any signs of illness or stress, so It remains a mystery.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
if they were wild caught they may have had a parasite of some sort, also IIRC Ich lives in the gills of fish usually and I have heard of it destroying the gill tissue (rendering the fish unable to breathe basically).

YMMV
IANABiologist
I don't know..it's possible of course, but it seems a bit of an oddity for that to effect them all at once, and not until they had been established and healthy for several months. I was thinking more along the lines of some disease, or new environmental condition? The only recent addition was that I feed live blackworms, and while I take precautions to wash them..maybe something "hitchhiked" in with the last batch?
Dunno..just weird, and maddening when you can't at least ID what went wrong!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts