Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
99% of otos are wild caught (and now most of the species are endangered due to overfishing for aquariums). If you happen to know the breeder in captivity please always give preference to buy from him. Captivity breeders are much safer to buy from and most deseases are treated. Otos you buy from pet stores are all wild caught and you ought to have 2-3 weeks quarantine in the separate tank. To do it successfully please follow following instructions (1) have quarantine tank filled with water and put to place with plenty of sun, wait for algae to grow, preferably if you have some plants in the tank to increase surface (2) buy otos (3) replace water in the tank and treat it as normally you treat from chlorine etc (4) place the otos in separate container with package water and slowly dilute the water with quarantine tank water (it will take 20 min or so) (5) put otos in the quarantine tank with diluted water (6) provide supplementary food and regularly change water 1 time per 4 days , provide plenty of light so that algae grows well in the tank. (7) after 2-3 weeks if no sign of deaseas introduce to the main tank and watch behaviour.
Above procedure helped me always to keep otos. Still otos are quite fragile, if you give them zucchini without cutting off the skin it may kill them with pesticides, if you give them other vegies especially root type (like potato, gobo root etc) they may die as well. Any fluctuations in your water supply with Cu additive or antialgae additive from water supply company will surely kill them. They die from certain reason for sure, there is always a reason.
Above is just my observation and I'm not expert, let me know if something i missed or wrong about.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts