Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Suggest me a light

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ZID ZULANDER 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I can't believe 122 people read your question and not one made a suggestion. I am sort of new to this hobby myself and just set up an old 10 gallon tank for my granddaughter. It had a 15w plant light in it that "apparently" wasn't enough light for the plants. I don't know how old that bulb was but they say they should be replaced even tho they still light. After two months the plants are not as beautiful as they were new. So I purchased a new 15w Sun-Glo 4200k aquarium light at PetSmart which offers 6 different k ratings from which to choose. I could have chose a 6700k, a 10,000k, a 18000k or a marineglo. I thought I would work my way up. The color presentation is much better that the old bulb. While my plants aren't dead they have a long way to go as I made other mistakes with the 10 gallon tank as well: substrate cloud dust, too many fish resulting in a lot of dead fish, cheap filtration system, etc. Lighting must really be a tricky subject as it seems few people will recommend something. The subject of CO2 comes up a lot in addition to the lighting suggesting that lighting is not the only consideration for healthly aquatic plants. \co2 is an expensive proposition so I don't have it. I was told that the hobby is a learning experience. Just read lots on this forum and make your best guess.

#3 ·
I just popped up to the "Sticky Thread" above entitled 9325K The Difference It's great because you can compare the difference in the pics
when different bulbs are used. Check it out. I am sure other guys have made similar comparisons so you will just have to read on. Maybe you can ask Santa Claus for a new difference bulb for Christmas. Hey, maybe me too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.